What ways do you use the Fing App?

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 950
250 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Awesomes
admin
We all use the Fing App for different reasons. What is your favourite use of the App?
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
VioletChepil

Comments

• KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I use mine with IFTTT to automate playing music on my Sonos devices. My wife loves coming home and having her personal playlist welcome her home!

We also do the reverse and have it stop all of the music when we leave the house.

So many possibilities!

VioletChepilCarlo_from_FingCiaranLee_BoJeffS1427dTrickHelenHronos
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 950
    admin
    @KayJay nice idea, entrance music as you walk into the house after a hard day, I love the idea, that's got to put you in a good mood for the rest of the eve :)  

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    KayJay
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 950
    admin
    I had a pretty random use for the App recently, I was at a restaurant with my sister after collecting from the airport. Naturally she was busy telling me about her trip, all excited. Paid the bill and left. When I got home, I looked for my phone, couldnt find it. I thought 'I will look for it later, I am sure it has just fallen down beside a cushion' , but decided to check the Fing App on my iPad just to ensure it is in the house (connected to the network). It wasnt. I raced back to the restaurant, and there it was sitting on  the chair.  Probably not the most obvious use of the App, but it saved me forking out for a new phone that day :)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    GidsterHronos
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    I use Fing App to check for the hidden cameras or unknown devices on the network and suggested the same to my friends when they are staying at hotel or Airbnb. Its always helpful in these scenarios.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I use it for data collection at customer locations and also use it along with IFTTT to turn on the living room lights when my iPhone connects to my home wifi.
    Ciaran
  • JeffS1427JeffS1427 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭
    I control my smart home with my FingBox.  I use the "allow/block" feature all the time  
    dTrickCiaran
  • AjaxAjax Member Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Check the kids in and out of the house and curfews for internet use.
    Ciaran
  • KrejarKrejar Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I mostly use mine as a geofence to notify me when my wife comes home or leaves, especially since she is on break and with our kids. What I really would like though is to allow shared access to a fingbox though, that way she can do the same for me without having to use my account. Is that possible? I haven't even given it a try, maybe I will.
    Ciaran
  • AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I typically use the Fing app to receive alerts when devices drop off of my network.  I also occasionally monitor network bandwidth usage when using one of my streaming devices.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    Ciaran
  • LucaLuca Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

I use it to check for potential risks when using a public WiFi network ana to ensure no one is piggybacking on my home broadband networks.

This security point really needs emphasizing, as it is a huge selling point.

Ciaran
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Ciaran said:
    We all use the Fing App for different reasons. What is your favourite use of the App?
    I very much like the ability to check my Internet speed from anywhere using the app, not just when I am at home.
    Ciaran
  • jw_nedjw_ned Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    -monitor up/down-time
    -look up users at home or away
    -monitoring new devices (especialy when guest network is enabled)
    -monitoring critical devices (like NAS etc.)
    Regards, Jacco
    Ciaran