Router BSSID changed, why?

JoeeA
JoeeA Member Posts: 17
10 Comments First Anniversary

I got a new router 4 days ago and screen shot the BSSID information. Today the last two digits changed, it had been 9A and now it’s 9B, why?

Hoping someone can answer and also let me know its a non issue (it’s normal)?

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Note what @Pixel wrote in the first part of his reply...  If your router is dual band and it uses one SSID for both bands (my mesh router does this), this is very possible.

This might be due to how your wifi hardware is configured, 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz can have their own mac addresses. Also, if the router is part of a mesh network you might be seeing the mac address of a different node. 

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 246
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    This might be due to how your wifi hardware is configured, 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz can have their own mac addresses. Also, if the router is part of a mesh network you might be seeing the mac address of a different node. 

Finally, Some device operating systems offer enhanced privacy by randomising and changing the MAC address on a regular basis (known as Private addressing). This however means the network is unable to recognise the same device connecting and reconnecting, so MAC address based controls (such as Access Controls) will stop working for these devices.

It is possible to disable the randomised MAC address feature on most devices via their Wi-Fi settings. Information on how to do this and the impact can be found on the device manufacturer’s website.

For example:- in IPad wifi settings, disable the switch highlighted, this should only be done on a known,  safe, private network.

• JoeeA
    JoeeA Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary

UPDATE:

So I do understand devices (IPhone, Ipad, other). “Private Address” setting or even “VPN”, can change things (I think that’s a great thing BTW).

But my Router itself changing BSSID? A “private address or vpn” wouldn’t change the routers BSSID would it? I’ve literally done nothing to it seen plugging it in.

I like to know if that’s a possibility for a router changing?