Home network has over 1000 Open Ports...

Toupsie9
Toupsie9 Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic

Good morning. I realized my home network was more than likely hacked and all my online accounts compromised well over a year and a half ago... Im definitely not knowledgeable enough to resolve this overwhelming issue on my own. Unfortunately, i spent the last 7-8 months of my life tirelessly trying to find a professional to help me with this issue but obviously there's not many reputable computer techs in my area of the country. If anyone out there could possibly help me out please let me know. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• msabeln
    msabeln Member Posts: 9
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    #2 Accepted Answer

Open ports on a network are typically of no concern because open ports are how devices offer services on a network. For example, a printer needs to have at least one open port if you actually want to print from it.

What is of greater concern is if one of these ports is exposed to the wider Internet by your router, via a process called “port forwarding “. Take a look at this webpage, and scroll down to the “Firewall Testers” section.

Try the shodan and censys links in particular to see if any ports on your network are actually exposed to the Internet. Ordinarily, none should be exposed.

The DNS tests are also useful: a common hack is replacing your legitimate DNS with something malicious, so that when you think you are visiting a particular website, you’ll be redirected to the hacker’s websites which resemble the legitimate websites but with malicious intent. Typically, your router will select your Internet Service Provider’s own DNS, and the tests should show these clearly.

Old routers often have lousy security, and any one that you do have should have firmware that is periodically and automatically updated. A good router will not only protect you from Internet attacks, but will protect the Internet from your own compromised computers.

Likewise, make sure that all of your computers and mobile devices connected to your network have up to date operating systems and will download updates automatically. Current computers have good built-in virus/malware/hacking protection, but lots of folks hold onto old hardware. You may have trouble with old Windows 7, XP, and older computers for example, or old iPhones, Android devices, or whatever, which are no longer updated and don’t protect against current threats.

Visiting dodgy websites, downloading suspicious email attachments, and installing unnecessary apps are the main culprits for computer infection rather than external attacks. Many do freely let the bad guys into their home, with serious consequences, while in actuality, break-ins are relatively rare and often inconsequential.

I like running the free Malwarebytes software periodically just as a further check.

Marc

Answers