What would be your top 5 recommendations in relation to Network Security?

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 873
500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
admin
edited August 2019 in Devices & Security
We all have different experiences in relation to Network Security. From you experience, what would be the top 5  recommendations or tips would your suggest?
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
Tagged:
BosjrVioletChepil

Comments

• AjaxAjax Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Are you looking for practical recommendations on a budget or best case scenario with unlimited budget? For a home or business?
    CiaranLee
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 272
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I personally use PF Sense firewalls.  Easy to configure and use.  Probably overkill for the small home network.
    CiaranLeeVioletChepil
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 873
    500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
    admin
    @Ajax great question, and perhaps worth separating the question out (as both would be really useful). But initially I meant practical steps. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ajax definitely these could be new threads :smile: Since we're getting things going here, definitely feel free to post those discussion in the devices and security category over here! https://community.fing.com/categories/devices 

Community Manager at Fing

LeeCiaranVioletChepil
  • AjaxAjax Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lee_Bo said:
    I personally use PF Sense firewalls.  Easy to configure and use.  Probably overkill for the small home network.
    Sophos also do a free version of their UTM Firewall if you have a spare old PC to run it on. Really easy to configure and install and possibly more tuned to the home user: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

LeeGidsterCiaranVioletChepil
  • RomulusRomulus Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I think my #1 recommendation would be keeping up to date with firmware updates, particularly your Router. But try not to make that your only line of defence.
    So my top 5 would be:
    1. Check/Update router firmware regularly
    2. Disable remote access to router config
    3. Strong router password
    4. Keep up to date with software updates on everything else.
    5. Run Anti-virus/firewall on your PC's
    The_daveMarcCiaranHronosVioletChepilSH4D0WZ0MB1E
  • JbakshJbaksh Member Posts: 5
    5 Likes 5 Agrees Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

Pfsense is a great open source option but for simplicity I recommend keeping your routers firmware up to date and also activating that feature as it is not always on by default on some routers. Also make sure your device is up to date to better protect it.

CiaranVioletChepil
  • RayzorRayzor Member Posts: 5
    First Answer First Comment
    You might want to read this https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/five-steps-to-secure-your-iot-home-network-you-need-to/ as it gives five ways to secure IoT. Although I am leaning to putting the new D-Link McAfee router between the gateway and my standard router as the best way.

CiaranVioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,627
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If we had sticky posts, @Romulus post should be a permanent mandatory read..  My #1, change the default router password to something complex.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    CiaranHronosVioletChepil