High CPU usage from Fing.Agent

Hello all,
Using Fing desktop version 2.6.0 I see consistent high CPU usage from Fing.Agent.

Have tried:
-Disabling Deep Scan from Network tab
-Disable hardware acceleration
-Removing and reinstalling Fing app.

Stopping the Fing.Agent service only offers a temporary reprieve. Is this a bug?

Thanks for any feedback!
ljschoepke

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,746
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @CanadianJoe
    Are you using Windows or MAC device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • CanadianJoe
    CanadianJoe Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I am using Windows 10 - 21HA (19043.1110)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    I am using Windows 10 - 21HA (19043.1110)
    Thanks. When you close the Fing desktop, does the CPU usage goes to 0 or not? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • CanadianJoe
    No, the CPU usage stays consistently high whether or not Fing Desktop is open or closed.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    No, the CPU usage stays consistently high whether or not Fing Desktop is open or closed.
    In this case, how did you isolate the issue that high CPU is being used by Fing desktop if the cpu % remains high if the Fing desktop is closed. Can you share screenshot of this?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Hi there - because it is Fing.Agent (the service) that is causing the CPU usage, not Fing Desktop. I am just seeing the CPU usage in Windows Task Manager, whether or not desktop is running. I have had the service turned off since I started this ticket, so I will re-start the service and wait for the spike to happen again.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @CanadianJoe
    Once the issue arise again, please try to uninstall Fing desktop using any 3rd party uninstaller like revo and then reboot device and then re-install and check if the same thing happens again or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Hello Robin,

Here's Fing.Agent doing it's thing with the CPU - it basically stays this way until I turn off the computer or stop the service. In this case I have not opened Fing Desktop today although it is in my system tray. Let me know if you need any other details.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @CanadianJoe
    Can you disbale Fing desktop from auto-start up from the tasks manager and open fing desktop preferences by clicking on your name and then select 'Preferences' and then disable 'Hide Fing at boot' and 'Launch Fing at boot' and then close Fing desktop and reboot device. This should resolve the issue.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • nyit
    nyit Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    We're having the same problem - high fing agent service CPU - regardless if Desktop app is running or not. Windows 10 fully updated.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    nyit said:
    We're having the same problem - high fing agent service CPU - regardless if Desktop app is running or not. Windows 10 fully updated.
    If fing desktop is not running and you are getting high cpu usage by Fing desktop agent then it is running in background. please make sure it is disabled from start up and then check again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Robin said:
    @CanadianJoe
    Can you disbale Fing desktop from auto-start up from the tasks manager and open fing desktop preferences by clicking on your name and then select 'Preferences' and then disable 'Hide Fing at boot' and 'Launch Fing at boot' and then close Fing desktop and reboot device. This should resolve the issue.
    Hi Robin,
    Update on this - Fing Desktop has been has been disabled as you note above and is NOT running now. But it does not seem to make any difference. However, I have noticed one thing. This high cpu usage only seems to happen when I am working in the office. When I am remote (most days of the week), it does not occur. 

I noticed it last week, and this morning I am in my workplace office and it is happening again. Odd thing is, I connect to this network every day when remote via VPN, but when inside the network, the agent usage goes high and stays that way until I disable to service or leave the network. Once I am remote, the agent settles down again.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @CanadianJoe
    This is strange. I will pass this on to developers for review. I will get back to you once I have new update.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)