Open ports HELP

JoeeA
JoeeA Member Posts: 9
First Comment

3 days ago I get an alert on an “unknown generic device”. Yesterday Spectrum Internet (not fing) sends an alert of unknown router. Tonight Fing shows my router has over 1000 open ports? Can this be true/possible? See picture.

if im in danger, let me know and let me know how to fix or what to do next! Thank all of you in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,577
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This could even have been a guest you had sharing your wifi, even for a short time that triggered the port openings.  They could appear, even if no longer used, till the router was rebooted.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    JoeeA

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for your post. I am sure our moderator can guide you better. Any advice @Marc
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    JoeeA
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

First thing to do is to go to your routers administration app and see if it has a feature where as you can turn off UPNP. That’s universal plug and play and when it’s enabled, it allows ports to be opened and closed at will.

Turn it off, restart the router and see if these come back. Most should not. There are always a few ports open by default like 80, 443 and that’s nothing to worry about.

looking at your list, most seem to be either laptop or pc diagnostics or some offshoot of whatever collaboration software your using, perhaps for work?

JoeeARobin
  • JoeeA
    First Comment

Thank you for your post. Thing is, I have two Smart TV’s , Two IPhones and Two Android phones on Network and nothing else. The only software diagnostic I have/use is Fing.

Spectrum support is absolutely zero. They updated/changed their routers in such a way that users can’t login to them (per their “support”), even using a ethernet cable. They changed name of router to SAGEMCCOM [email protected] around 100 days ago.

anyways I did unplug last night and today it’s showing normal again. Im changing internet providers soon.

thank you all again

• JoeeA
    First Comment
    edited July 16

@Marc your great! I wasn’t aware that was even a possibility. I’ve always assumed that the more ports open, the more likely you were in trouble. Until yesterday when I posted that screenshot, id never in my 20 years of home use ever seen more than 5 port openings.

Learned something new today! Thank you again

• Cybmono
    Cybmono Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Ports 54320 and 54321 on the list of open ports (in the pic you posted) were opened by bo2k. That is a program called back orifice, I’m assuming since you’re asking here that you didn’t set that up yourself for remote administration (which is possible but would be an odd choice, and would definitely not be part of any factory firmware or official installation. Unless you set that up intentionally and knew about it, there is a 100 percent chance you have been hacked).

I repeat: You have been backdoored. Your network has been compromised. Do not use that network until you secure it. Consider all your devices and accounts compromised and change every password on every account. You need to start doing damage control, this could be a serious breach of your personal security and privacy.

Frankly I’m appalled by the level of incompetence in this thread and on this forum in general. First of all: thousands of open ports is not ever normal, it is a full-volume alarm with flashing strobe lights. Who runs thousands of internet-facing services??? And the screenshot OP posted, by random chance I’m assuming, just happened to include ports opened by known malware. There might as well be flying monkeys circling that router, the whole network is unsafe. And thanks to this forum it’s been unsafe much longer than it should have been.

Fing should hire experts to monitor these forums and reply to threads like this one, or include a prominent warning that the forums should not be relied upon for security advice, or shut the forums down. Fing is opening itself up to liability if it doesn’t do one of those three things, and could be sued if somebody is damaged by relying on the advice here.

I feel like rage-flipping my desk right now, this should not have happened. Best of luck, OP.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cybmono , these areas are part of an open volunteer community threads and it’s folks like you that provide value by your participation. Please continue to review the threads and comment where you feel you can add value.

That l being said I did a bit of research on those ports prior to posting and they are also used for open portgres and Citrix as well. Combine that and the other business leaning software like data beam and Compaq management software and I erred towards where I erred. The fact that Fing identified it as it did could also valid but I would not take any of this as gospel till more research is done, dots connected etc.

• JoeeA
    First Comment

I have zero software except FING, I only use cell phones and smart TVs…and this is home, not business.??

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19

Ive edited this from an earlier version.

If you do not have a laptop or PC, and if no one has been on your network, then either one or both of your smart TV’s, Router and or your cell phone might be infected.

Dylan_From_Fing