Fingagent (service) seems to prevent my Windows 10 desktop te hibernate.

Peter_Kelderman
Peter_Kelderman Member Posts: 14
10 Comments Photogenic
edited July 30 in Fing Desktop
I am using Fing pretty often. On tablet, smartpfone and desktop. On my desktop I like to use hibernate because of a far more faster start-up (af post 5 seconds in stead of 27 seconds after shut down. It seems that Fingagent prevents my desktop to go in hibernation. After I killed the fingagent service hibernation works perfect. But in that case Fing can't be started, because it needs Fingagent. It would be fine to me that fingagent could be ended by hibernate (and sleep!) or that Fingagent is started by Fing when needed.
Thanks a lot!  

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,577
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Peter_Kelderman, has it ever allowed hibernate to work on the desktop or is this a new behavior?  Can we assume you're using the latest version of Fing desktop, 2.6?  if its never worked, I might recommend you uninstall Fing and reinstall it.  If this is a new behavior for the app, then we can tag the Fing folks to have a look.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Guardian_Angel_1
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I can be short: I always work with the latest version from Windows and the applications I use. The problem I described started after the update to version 2.6.0 or one earlier. It took some time to find out that Fingagent is the cause. Ending Fingagent in taskmanager does not work: it always restarts within seconds. That could also be the case when shutdown is trying to end Fingagent. But that is only a thought... A reinstall is so often the "solution" that I did it already.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very good. Thanks for the info. @Robin , any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    None of other users have reported this behaviour with latest version. Can you uninstall Fing desktop using revo uninstaller if possible and then reboot device and then install new version again and see if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Your answer is similar to the experience of a car owner, who has a problem with his car, goes to the garage and is told that one has never heard of that problem. That is possible, but the problem is therefore no less urgent. Or you can call the help desk and be told, "turn it off and on again." This is the third time I have to completely reinstall Fing for a hitch. Hibernate is now a hidden feature in Windows. It may therefore be the case that few use it. By the way: the "solution" does not work.
  • Robin
    admin
    @Peter_Kelderman
    If none of other users are facing issue with windows device then it confirms that it is not a bug. Then in that case, it is an individual case where the issue is happening. To isolate those individual cases, we require much information about network set up, any VPN used or Firewall/Antivirus used.

Can you check under Fing desktop if you have enabled 'Deep scanning' option? You can find deep scanning under network tab. Also, Have you tried uninstalling Fing desktop using revo uninstaller if possible and then reboot device and then install new version again and see if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I have used revo uninstaller, did an reboot and reinstalled Fing. The problem was stil there. The conclusion that only one report of a problem means it is no bug is acording to my experience a to fast one. There is always a first one. I did not enable deep scanning.
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    For your information: i use Windows standard virusscanner, use no VPN. Use fixed ip-addresses. Firewall is also the one that comes with Windows. 
  • Robin
    admin
    edited July 21
    @Peter_KeldermanOver the weekend, I have tried on different Windows 7, 8 and windows 10 laptops including different brands Dell, HP and Lenovo. I was not able to recreate the issue. Can you send screenshot from the Windows virusscanner?
    @Marc @Pixel If you have windows device, can you please check if you are facing such issue as this will help me to isolate the issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 202
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Robin my win10 device is headless so difficult to assess if there are sleep/hibernate issues as vnc would wake the machine anyway. As you mention this is unlikely to be a “bug” but more likely a software conflict especially when MS are forcing frequent updates which can (& do) cause problems.
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Screenshot Windows10 Virusscanner (from Microsoft

Is this what you mean to see?
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Please explain to me why my Win10 machine does not go in hibernate/sleep when Fingagent runs. As soon as I end Fingagent service Win10 ends into hibernate without delay and any problem. And that is truely the only difference. 
  • Robin
    admin
    @Peter_Kelderman
    Thanks for the screenshot. I will seek further advice for this and I may require Fing desktop log files but I will update you once I require those. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave it a shot on my Windows 10 Desktop.  Regretfully, I can't get it to sleep on its own in any situation, Fing or not.  I can force sleep and that works without an issue.  I did run powercfg to see if Fing was stopping it from sleeping when I had it running and it never identified Fing as being the culprit, rather some worker process.
    Robin
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    From Windows application log:
    Scanning the log gives several loggings of this error. 
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, if this helps, see translated error below...

Robin
  • Robin
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @Peter_Kelderman
    I am seeking further advice on this and get back to you with an update. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Peter_Kelderman
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Today I received my new pc and did a new install from Windows 10/64, Office 2013, Visual Studio 2019, and some tools for harddisk maintainance. I installed Fing and used hibernate without any problem. My old pc will be newly installed without Fing. So my question seems to end here.
    Marc
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the follow up @Peter_Kelderman