Does device installed with Fing app have to be connected to network IF ....

JARVIS
JARVIS Member Posts: 9
First Comment
If I want to know the status of my network online status?

Does Fing have a feature to notify my phone when my home network is down when I'm away?

Thanks,
Jarvis
Simon_Poortman1

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @JARVIS
    For the requested feature, you need a Fingbox. To know more, check this link: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/what-can-fingbox-do/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Simon_Poortman1
  • JARVIS
    First Comment
    Thanks. But that's not what I'm looking for. I only get those notifications when my devices (Fing app on phone or Fing desktop) is connected to the network.

But when I'm away from my house for a day, I won't get any notifications about whether my home network goes down.
    Simon_Poortman1
  • Robin
    admin
    JARVIS said:
    Thanks. But that's not what I'm looking for. I only get those notifications when my devices (Fing app on phone or Fing desktop) is connected to the network.

But when I'm away from my house for a day, I won't get any notifications about whether my home network goes down.
    As mentioned before, The feature that you are requesting is provided by Fingbox. Fingbox connects to your router which continuously monitors the network and even if you are on a remote location, you can see the network connection and connected devices and it will alert you for state changes.

Fing app is a manual scanning app and doesn't run in background. It can only provide alerts for the current connected network. Fing desktop run the scan automatically on your network but it needs to be open on your device and then you can view the Fing desktop network from Fing app.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    JARVIS
  • JARVIS
    First Comment
    So how well does Fingbox work if consumers had more complicated setup with more than one router and maybe a firewalla?
  • Robin
    admin
    JARVIS said:
    So how well does Fingbox work if consumers had more complicated setup with more than one router and maybe a firewalla?
    With Firewalla, Please follow these steps:  

1. You can turn monitoring off on Fingbox in Firewalla app, so that Firewalla won't arp spoof Fingbox, and Fingbox won't report gateway change alert. 

2. If you don't use the blocking feature in FingBox, it won't trigger arp spoofing against devices. But if you want to use the blocking feature, the arp spoof messages from FingBox may interference how Firewalla works. Our recommendation will be to use Firewalla app to block devices. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • JoeH
    JoeH Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Assuming you have only ONE source of internet at your home: Consider that any device at your home - be it a router, PC, or Fingbox or whatever, will not have the ability to send traffic (messages, etc.) to you IF the internet connection is DOWN - as that is the only means of sending information. NOW, having said that, you might be able to draw conclusions if you constantly contact your home from a distant location, and LOSE that connection (that is, by NOT receiving a signal you conclude that the home connection is down), OR possibly another internet connection at home via a cellular network. There are "uptime" sites that constantly check on the status of a website and email you if/when it's up/down, etc.