See all devices/See insights is suddenly blank

Jnelsoninjax
Jnelsoninjax Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
I have had Fing desktop installed for about 2 weeks and today after installing a new PoE camera, I needed to find its IP address, so I opened Fing and went (from home) to See all devices under local network, but when it opens it is blank. When I click on any of the other 2 tabs (network and security) I get the waiting cursor and then it freezes and never shows anything. I have reset the computer, I have closed and re-opened Fing, and neither of these steps has resolved this issue. What other troubleshooting steps can I take to possibly resolve this?
Tagged:
datagod

Best Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Some of the troubleshooting steps I've seen suggested is reinstalling the app or temporarily disabling any antivirus you might have running and you can try either if you have the time.  Otherwise wait on @Robin's return and hopefully he will pick this up.  Note it could take a day or so till you get a response.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    JnelsoninjaxSquirbelRobin_from_Fing
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer
    I've seen on a number of occasions where the reinstall just kicks it to working again.  No rhyme or reason but then again this is a Windows version of the app so anything goes... ;)  
    Dylan_From_FingAkter

Answers

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jnelsoninjax , can you give a few details?  Desktop OS and version, Version of the Fing Desktop for instance?  That will help in giving you a direction to trouble shoot this.
    Dylan_From_FingAkter
  • Jnelsoninjax
    edited July 1, 2021 #5
    Windows 10 21H1 X64, fully up to date. Fing version 2.6.0
    When I click on Network, the screen goes blank and I have to close the program to regain control.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect @Jnelsoninjax, thanks.  Is this the first time your running it or has it worked before and now all the sudden it just stopped working?  

Also Tagging @Robin from Fing for next steps towards resolving this...  
  • Jnelsoninjax
    I have run Fing before, as I said today I ran it trying to find the IP address to a PoE camera, and this happened. It is the first time I have had this problem.
  • Jnelsoninjax
    edited July 1, 2021 #8
    I didn't think about A/V, I'll pause it and see what happens. Paused A/V, still not working, going to go ahead and reinstall it, the worst that is going to happen is the same thing that is happening! :smiley: 
    Uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and now it's working again... so I do not know where that puts the issue.
  • Jnelsoninjax
    Marc said:
    I've seen on a number of occasions where the reinstall just kicks it to working again.  No rhyme or reason but then again this is a Windows version of the app so anything goes... ;)  

Just say windows and say no more... or just call windows FUBAR! :smiley:
    MarcAkter
  • skris88
    skris88 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi.  I am using Fing Desktop on my Windows 10 laptop and I could see the devices on my network until I selected Rental network.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the program but it remembered all my previous settings.  Do I have to reinstall Windows completely to get this working properly again?? Surely if I move to another location I would expect to be able to rescan devices there? 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Marc said:

Just say windows and say no more... or just call windows FUBAR! :smiley:
    Are you still facing the blank screen?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    skris88 said:
    Hi.  I am using Fing Desktop on my Windows 10 laptop and I could see the devices on my network until I selected Rental network.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the program but it remembered all my previous settings.  Do I have to reinstall Windows completely to get this working properly again?? Surely if I move to another location I would expect to be able to rescan devices there? 
    Can you share screenshots describing the issue? Are you scanning another network or a different access point of your network?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • RJR
    RJR Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have this happening as well. The list of devices just goes blank at times. There is no pattern to the time it happens here. I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2, The only thing which resolves the issue is to close Fing then restart the Fing.Agent service and then restart Fing. I have this procedure automated here at intervals so it can take care of itself.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @RJR
    Thanks for the screenshot. Can you close the application completely and delete the network identified by Fing desktop via Fing web app and then reboot device and then run the scan again to see if the issue persists?
    As you mentioned, restarting service resolves the issue. It means either your firewall or antivirus is blocking Fing services. What kind of antivirus are you using? Are you using Wireshark on your device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • RJR
    Robin said:
    @RJR
    Thanks for the screenshot. Can you close the application completely and delete the network identified by Fing desktop via Fing web app and then reboot device and then run the scan again to see if the issue persists?
    As you mentioned, restarting service resolves the issue. It means either your firewall or antivirus is blocking Fing services. What kind of antivirus are you using? Are you using Wireshark on your device?
    I rather not perform a network deletion at this time. If I recall, there is some configuration which does not get imported back. I did it once before with your advice for an issue some time ago. I use Eset NOD32 Antivirus. I already had the Fing.exe file excluded. But, I just realized that the fingagent.exe service was not excluded. So, I will disable my refresh service script and see if the issue is resolved for now. I do not use Wireshark. Thanks.
  • Squirbel
    Squirbel Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Uninstall, reinstall worked for me.
    Dylan_From_Fing
  • ErwinC
    ErwinC Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited August 12, 2021 #17
    Same issue over here. I installed it yesterday. 
    It worked but after a while the app said I had some connection errors like it could not logon. Although my network/internet was working fine.
    Today I get the blanc screen when entering devices.
    When I click on see more I get a list of the nic's in my laptop.
    As you can see the main nic wich is connected and does have an ip address, shows up in the list without IP address.
    I'm guessing this is due to the machine been put to standby and fling not reacting properly after a wake up?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @ErwinC
    Currently, you are connected via Wired connection. If you connect via Wireless, does the issue persists?
    Please try to delete the network identified by Fing desktop via Fing web app and then try to run the scan again. Also, are you using any VPN or Wireshark?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ErwinC
    First Comment
    edited August 12, 2021 #19
    I disconnected the cable and connected the wifi at no aval.
    IP adress still stays 0.0.0.0 in the fing network list (see screencap).
    I deleted the network and tried again at no aval. The devices screen stays blanc.
    When I click on the "network" tab next to "devices", fing goes compleetly blanc and I can't do anything anymore but closing the app.

I have VPN but not connected.
    I don't have wireshark on my laptop.
    I do have nmap with the zen gui installed.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @ErwinC
    It seems like there is some application on your network which is using NpCap library and thus creating this issue. Can you reboot your device to safe mode and then check if the issue persists? Also, Can you restart the Fing agent service from services.msc and check?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ErwinC
    First Comment
    I uninstalled nmap and the npcap that went with it.
    Fing service did not wanna start, so I reinstalled fing again and it working now.
    Thank you
  • FingFling_02
    FingFling_02 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I am having this same issue. Very frustrating seeing as I just purchased a subscription
    donmanguno
  • RJR
    Yes, this is still an issue for me. Excluding the fing.exe and fing.agent service in my antivirus did not seem to help. For now, I still run my script to restart both the service and application once a day automatically. But, I will probably need to increase this to probably twice as I just discovered this issue reappeared. I discovered it from a warning that I just rejoined the network. I do not know what that is about. I did not loose connection. I do not recall this issue with the past versions. I cannot find any other apps that could be causing this issue.
    donmanguno
  • donmanguno
    donmanguno Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have this issue also.  Reinstalling Fing seems to be the only solution, but this is unacceptable. I also just paid for pro.  If the desktop app doesn't work I want a refund.
  • Devorix
    Devorix Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited August 18, 2021 #25
    When I had npcap installed I was having this same issue. When it would happen if you exit fing from taskbar clock icon and then stop and restart the fing agent service it would work again for a little. I have since uninstalled npcap but still have the issue. 

**Update* Just found another install of npcap which I have uninstalled and also remove nmap as well. Restarted the service and fing so hopefully it will be more stable. 
  • RJR
    Devorix said:
    When I had npcap installed I was having this same issue. When it would happen if you exit fing from taskbar clock icon and then stop and restart the fing agent service it would work again for a little. I have since uninstalled npcap but still have the issue. 

**Update* Just found another install of npcap which I have uninstalled and also remove nmap as well. Restarted the service and fing so hopefully it will be more stable. 
    Yes, you can get version 1.5 from the nmap site. I tried this and it completely trashes the devices list screen no matter how many times I refreshed the Fing agent service. I actually had to do a Revo uninstall and then reinstall Fing. It seemed like a good solution but just did not work for me. Interesting how it works for you though.
  • Devorix
    Devorix Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Well actually Installed Fing desktop on another laptop that has win10 on it and its much more stable. But then that machine hasnt had any pcap installed on it. One thing i did notice is that sometimes the device screen will go blank still but restarting the service seems to bring it back. This usually happens when I'm making multiple device changes (names, recognitions, and such). I have disabled hardware acceleration and still happens. Also noticed that if the fing app is open and on the device list it will not auto scan but if im on a different screen say home or if the app is close and just in taskbar it will scan automatically. 
  • AnthonyB
    AnthonyB Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm also seeing the same blank Devices pages in Fing 2.6.0 on Win 10 after I updated to Nmap 7.62 (https://nmap.org/changelog.html) which includes Npcap 1.50 (https://github.com/nmap/npcap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md).

Could the Fing team maybe validate whether Fing 2.6.0 is compatible with Npcap 1.50? @Robin_from_Fing ?
    Or do we need a new version of Fing Desktop to work with Npcap 1.50?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    AnthonyB said:
    I'm also seeing the same blank Devices pages in Fing 2.6.0 on Win 10 after I updated to Nmap 7.62 (https://nmap.org/changelog.html) which includes Npcap 1.50 (https://github.com/nmap/npcap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md).

Could the Fing team maybe validate whether Fing 2.6.0 is compatible with Npcap 1.50? @Robin_from_Fing ?
    I am seeking further advice from developers for compatibility and will get back to you with an update. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • AnthonyB
    AnthonyB Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 #30
    AnthonyB said:

I am seeking further advice from developers for compatibility and will get back to you with an update. Thanks
    Thanks @Robin_from_Fing!

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @AnthonyB
    I got in touch with developers and currently, the Fing Desktop works with Npcap 1.20 only, this is due to the bug introduced since 1.30 and newer versions. The issue is reported here https://github.com/nmap/npcap/issues/525
    Robin (Admin at Fing)