Fing Desktop doesn't recognize manual ip in win 10

Silly bug but a big one. Updated to 2.6.0 on win 10 and whenever I chose a wifi network that has a manual assigned ip, fing doesnt think I am connected to the internet. I tested and verified by switching from DHCP assigned to manual on three different networks and thats the problem. It says I do not have internet connectivity but I do as I am writing you from that connection. This is a newer bug, as it was not a problem several months ago when I played with fing. I saw a similar discussion on mac, but not noted on anything I saw on windows. Hope you fix it soon, I would think lots of people use manual ips on their windows machines.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,746
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @Bubba2
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. In order to investigate this, we would need some log files from Fing desktop. 

Can you please perform these steps:

STEP 1: Open a prompt window and write

echo overlook.fingagent.logging.level=TRACE > %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\conf\fingagent.properties

That will create the configuration file required to override the logging level.

STEP 2: Reboot the system or kill/restart Fing.Agent service manually, it will be started automatically by WindowsOS

STEP 3: Send the whole log folder for the fingagent (in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\log\)

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Bubba2
    Bubba2 Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Following those instructions doesnt leave much info in the  log.....

Attached log has the rest but...

ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:21.794 === fing agent 2.6.0 - www.fing.io ===
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:23.670 GeoIpChecker | GeoIp Lookup internet checker [ONLY_IP] <- error <Unable to resolve: No such host is known>
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:27.672 HeartBeatEngine | Unable to find a valid network interface
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:27.977 RecogCatalogStats | Retrieve stats failed: communication error with remote server: Unable to resolve: No such host is known
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:28.030 Put Health Check failed: communication error with remote server
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:28.739 GeoIpChecker | GeoIp Lookup internet checker [ONLY_IP] <- error <Unable to resolve: No such host is known>
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:33.767 GeoIpChecker | GeoIp Lookup internet checker [ONLY_IP] <- error <Unable to resolve: No such host is known>
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:36.827 Client Account verification failed: communication error with remote server
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:38.790 GeoIpChecker | GeoIp Lookup internet checker [ONLY_IP] <- error <Unable to resolve: No such host is known>
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:43.397 Put Health Check failed: communication error with remote server
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:43.821 GeoIpChecker | GeoIp Lookup internet checker [ONLY_IP] <- error <Unable to resolve: No such host is known>
    ERROR 2021/06/22 22:25:46.849 Client Account verification failed: communication error with remote server

It goes on like that. in that session I connected to valid network dhcp and it worked fine then static ip and got errors and did same for 2 other networks....
  • Bubba2
    edited June 23, 2021 #4
    Got it....figured out that I had to use an administrator prompt...Attaching a few logs...Please hide these as I think they might have identifyer info in them....
    These were done as I stated before, dhcp network config and static config. Yesterday, I actually changed  the adapter settings and fing figured it out and it became aware that I was online. Note that I am online in all cases.... Also, how  do i turn off logging level late one when you figure it out....
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Bubba2
    I have deleted your log files from this post. Also, if you reboot your device then it will automatically turn off the logging level to default value.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Bubba2
    Let me know if you need anymore or anything else once you have a chance to review. This was not happening a few months ago, fing didnt care if I was on dhcp or static, but I only recently updated the client
  • Bubba2
    Did you ever get this figured out? It seems the same issues still occur. I can provide more logs for you if needed
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Bubba2 said:
    Did you ever get this figured out? It seems the same issues still occur. I can provide more logs for you if needed
    This has already been escalated to Developers and we are working on a new version of fing desktop which should fix this. As soon as there is an update for the new version, I will post it on the release notes. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)