Pretty confused re: Mesh system

Hi. I've seen some posts here that come close to my question, but not quite.

Here's my current setup. I have DSL (yah I know) coming into my shop bldg, using the svc provider router. Wifi is active & works fine for my needs there. The router is inside a stucco bldg, which means basically it's in a Faraday cage of stucco mesh. As a result, the wifi doesn't do well at my house roughly 125 ft away. To fix this situation, I have a 125' cat 6 cable run from svc provider router to my house with a second router at the other end of it. 2 separate SSIDs, which for several reasons, I am fine with. This 2nd router is old... like over 10 yrs. It also has working Wifi, and in the room where it is, the signal is great. I get enough, usually to watch most stuff on that room's TV & work on computer on the rare occasion I use it there. Around the corner, & across the hall however, it's horrible... TV says a little over 10Mbs.

Add to the confusion that I have an opportunity to upgrade to fiber. This would be considerably more expensive as I'd have to buy or rent the svc provider router, pay $30 more per month, pay to install & and STILL have to upgrade the house router somehow.

In reading & talking to ppl, I'm more confused than ever. I'm trying to figure if I can solve the wifi signal to my TV in an adjacent room (literally 20-25 ft away) in the house (but sort of around a corner) by just getting a new regular router or if I can connect a very simple 2 element mesh system that replaces the 2nd router & provides wifi in both rooms.

I don't have "smart" anything but 2 TVs w/Fire sticks.

I hope this makes sense. I don't want a single SSID between the 2 bldgs. I just want wifi to my TV. :-)

Tagged:

Comments

• stealthpaws
    stealthpaws Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Nevermind. I got my answer elsewhere.

• Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Good show!

Just for fun my response anyway.

Problem: I had a similar situation with a heavily armored concrete building. it’s like a bunker, adjacent to my office.

Wifi interference all over the place. And I didn’t want to drill a hole in that 1.5 ft thick concrete wall.

Solution (which is VERY situational, so it may not work for others): a network link via … the electricity grid. One device (bridging, kind of) cable attached to my router and of course plugged into an electricity socket and the other side (the repeater, if you will) plugged into an electricity socket inside that bunker.

Wifi without any issues.

Think outside the box 😂

SL1MEvoAkter
  • SL1MEvo
    SL1MEvo Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Popula said:
    Nevermind. I got my answer elsewhere.<\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"insert\":\"Nevermind. I got my answer elsewhere.\\n\"}]","format":"rich","dateInserted":"2021-06-21T18:06:49+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":24846,"name":"stealthpaws","url":"https:\/\/community.fing.com\/profile\/stealthpaws","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6031733\/uploads\/defaultavatar\/pIJEONH7HC39K.jpg","dateLastActive":"2021-06-21T19:12:22+00:00","banned":0,"private":false,"label":"✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/community.fing.com\/discussion\/comment\/29517#Comment_29517","embedType":"quote"}"> https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/29517#Comment_29517

a network link via … the electricity grid. One device (bridging, kind of) cable attached to my router and of course plugged into an electricity socket and the other side (the repeater, if you will) plugged into an electricity socket inside that bunker.

Wifi without any issues.

Think outside the box 😂

Now how do  you do that?  I get so so coverage in the back part of my house.  What I have done is run a Cat 6 cable out side around the house and back in where it is needed. Work well until rodents or my dogs decide to have a treat and chew up the cable.    While I'm pretty good at making my own cables and patch cords it is still a pain in the rear.
  • SL1MEvo
    SL1MEvo Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Now how do  you do that?  I get so so coverage in the back part of my house.  What I have done is run a Cat 6 cable out side around the house and back in where it is needed. Work well until rodents or my dogs decide to have a treat and chew up the cable.    While I'm pretty good at making my own cables and patch cords it is still a pain in the rear.
  • stealthpaws
    edited June 30, 2021 #6

Run the cable through PVC, or bury it a cpl inches if it's rated for outdoors. My first line was really crappy "phone" wire. Patched 3 places. Neighbor's checkers were biting it...lol.

• stealthpaws

@Popula great work around!

BTW I got a Tenda Nova 2pk. Only thing I changed was that. Replaced an ancient Netgear WNR2000. Went from 9 MBs to 20. I'm still on DSL, which only gets maybe 23/24 to begin with. Wifi in the shop where the signal comes in, literally maybe 12 ft from where my work desk is, gives me 11. :-/ Off the crappy CL router. Getting fiber in on Tuesday. :-)

• Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Via the electricity grid only works if the adjacent area is on the same group. If there’s a map in your utilities room, you should be able to find out.

Or else, buy two units (one sender and one receiver) online and try them out. If it doesn’t work, return them.