Fingbox stays offline after a power outage

Battlehamster
Battlehamster Member Posts: 3
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
I'm not sure if this is a support question or a bug report!

I had a power outage yesterday. When the power came back everything else recovered connectivity except my Fingbox. It sat there glowing red until after leaving it for several hours to see if it would fix itself I unplugged its network cable and reconnected it and it very quickly went blue.

My best guess is that when the power came back it booted faster than the DHCP server and so failed to acquire an IP but then failed to do anything about that. Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Ciarán
--
Security by obfuscation is an illusion...

Best Answer

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi, there are so many reasons why the fingbox might not automatically recover that unless it becomes a persistent issue it isn’t worth investing too much time investigating. Please report back should the situation become a recurring problem.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @Battlehamster
    We have had multiple power outages in my area and as soon as the power recovers, Fingbox was able to catch internet connection and turns blue in 30 mins give or take. If that doesn't happen automatically then a power cycle does help. It is normal for Fingbox to struck on red light until its next scan done based on the network size set on Fing app.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Battlehamster
    My fingbox was stuck on red for multiple hours (and so I had no expectation it would recover by itself) and it didn't need a power cycle just a network cable disconnect/reconnect to get it working again. I wonder what the difference is between your experience and mine.
    --
  • Battlehamster
    Pixel said:
    Hi, there are so many reasons why the fingbox might not automatically recover that unless it becomes a persistent issue it isn’t worth investing too much time investigating. Please report back should the situation become a recurring problem.
    I'd have thought however that some of them could be fixed by having a script that runs when the appliance thinks its offline to check to see if the network interface has valid IP address or not and if it doesn't resetting it. If you're going to force us to use DHCP and not allow a manual IP configuration (which I'm pretty sure now would have fixed my issue) the least you could do is make that DHCP configuration robust.
    --