Is it possible to measure local network traffic or possible saturation with Fing ??

Is it possible to measure local network traffic or possible saturation with Fing ?? 

Answers

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 #2
    LuisDIaz said:
    You can refer to this article: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/bandwidth-analysis-feature/
    Hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • thomasmerz
    thomasmerz Member Posts: 56
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    But why does Fingbox slow down my computer by around half the speed? Both Fingbox and Computer are connected via LAN-cable to the same switch. When I do an "iperf" with Bandwidth Analysis it's only half the speed than "normal"… :-1:

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    But why does Fingbox slow down my computer by around half the speed? Both Fingbox and Computer are connected via LAN-cable to the same switch. When I do an "iperf" with Bandwidth Analysis it's only half the speed than "normal"… :-1:

If Fingbox is slowing down your network then you can refer to this article: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/will-fingbox-slow-down-my-network/
    I hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

First and foremost, FING is a passive device and won't generate network activity, other than the occasional speed-test (if you enabled that), so it should not affect your bandwidth.

Using IPERF is rather situational. Did you use a typical local client-server setup?

Anyway, I did a few tests myself. Allow me to show you the results.

The server for the first two runs is a high-end core i9 11900K w/ 64MB, all SSD, CAT7 cable on a professional CISCO managed switch.
    The client for the first two runs is a 7th gen Intel i7 (Surface Pro) on a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter, CAT7 connected to the same managed switch.

First, a typical client-server IPERF run, wired, on a 1 Gbps local network (managed switch) and FING fully functional.
    The report shows this:

Next, exactly the same IPERF run, but now with FING disconnected.
    The report shows this:

Hardly any difference. A tad slower, even (888Mbps vs. 874Mbps). But neglectable.

However, when I do a REVERSE run of IPERF (switched client and server), the following happened, still WITHOUT an active FING:

See the difference? A whopping 40% drop, compared to the first two runs.
    Apparently, the server quality greatly determines the bandwidth.

If you do the same experiment, you may observe similar results.

That's why I always say that speed-tests, no matter how consistent it looks, are always very situational.

But I think the conclusion can be, that FING does not impact the bandwidth of your network.

UG64
  • thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    @Popula , it may not be clear that I used bandwidth-analysis-feature of Fingbox which seems to have an impact on bandwidth of the host that is analysed:
    • Without this feature, all iperf3 jobs are great and as expected and stable around/between 300-400 Mbit/s (which is very near the maximum that I'm expecting).
    • But as soon as I start to analyse bandwidth with fingbox for one of my hosts involved in iperf3, the performance is more than halving most the time , sometimes it's near the expected maximum.

• thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    @Popula , it may not be clear that I used bandwidth-analysis-feature of Fingbox which seems to have an impact on bandwidth of the host that is analysed:
    • Without this feature, all iperf3 jobs are great and as expected and stable around/between 300-400 Mbit/s (which is very near the maximum that I'm expecting).
    • But as soon as I start to analyse bandwidth with fingbox for one of my hosts involved in iperf3, the performance is more than halving most the time , sometimes it's near the expected maximum.