Fing app doesn't save MAC address on iOS

rasa
rasa Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment
In the Fing app, on iOS, many of my devices have a MAC address associated with them, as the OS provided it pre-iOS 11 (I think).

But some devices don't have a MAC. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to add a MAC to these devices. Even worse, when I enter a MAC to wake up a device, using the "Wake on Lan" feature, the MAC address is not saved. Each time I use the "Wake on Lan" function, I have to type the MAC in?
Is this just an oversight, or does Apple demand MACs not be remembered?

Any ideas on how to work around this issue?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasa, two things to remember.  On any iOS device your trying to scan, make sure you have private network setting for your wifi network turned off.  Also, make sure you grant the Fingapp location permissions to on.

For a full primer on limitation of IOS and the Fing app, see this Fing article....  https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • rasa
    @Marc I set the network to private, enabled the location permission, and read the article. Nothing seemed to help with my situation. I am trying to have the iOS app save the MAC address I am entering manually. It doesn't. Any ideas how to work around this issue?
    For example, does the Fing Desktop app, or the FingBox, collect MACs, and then provide them to the iOS (or Android) app to be stored?
    Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, interesting issue.  The desktop and mobile data collection were traditionally separate processes and database items.  Your collection via the desktop app as opposed to the Fing mobile app might be more comprehensive due to the underlying OS differences.

@Robin, any suggestions?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @rasa
    If you are using Fing desktop to identify MAC addresses and you don't have a Fingbox then you will be able to manage your Fing desktop network from Fing app. As @Marc mentioned, did you disable the private mac address on apple device wifi settings?

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

To note: Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rasa
    @Robin & @Marc While I really appreciate your replies, it appears I am not communicating my issue clearly so I will elaborate:
     When I use the Fing app on iOS to wake a device on my network, I click the "Wake On Lan" button on a device entry that has already been discovered. All of the devices discovered prior to iOS 11 have a MAC address associated with them, and the "Wake on Lan" function works fine.
    For devices discovered after iOS 11 was installed, the devices do not have a MAC address associated with them. So when I click on the device's "Wake on Lan" button, it prompts me for a MAC address, which is great. Unfortunately, the next time I click the "Wake on Lan" button, it again asks for the MAC address, which doesn't seem right. So let me ask my questions again, and number them:
    1. Why doesn't the iOS app remember the MAC addresses I enter?
    2. Is there any sort of workaround?
    3. Does the Fing Desktop app, or the FingBox, collect MACs, and then provide them to the iOS (or Android) app to be stored?
    Thanks again for your replies. I hope my response helps clarify things.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 #7

From @Robin quote…

“Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.”

Your workaround, if you want to continue to run the app via iOS, would be to purchase a Fingbox. Note your apple target devices would still need to have private Mac addresses turned off.

Also note the desktop app has no issues with MAC addresses from what I can see...

• rasa
    @marc I don't know why @robin claims the "Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS ". I have tons of devices that have a MAC addresses associated with them that I can see. Here's just one:
    Also, none of my questions were effectively answered, so I will ask them one last time:
    1. Why doesn't the iOS app remember the MAC addresses I enter manually?
    2. Is there any sort of workaround? How is having a FingBox a workaround? See question 3:
    3. Does the Fing Desktop app, or the FingBox, collect MACs, and then provide them to the iOS (or Android) app to be stored?
    We seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the problem is, and I don't know what else to do to effectively communicate the issue of the iOS app demanding I continually type in MAC addresses for already discovered devices.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @rasa
    Can you show how are you entering the MAC address for a device on Fing app as we have not implemented such feature where user can edit the MAC address for any device?
    If you have used Fing app before Apple put in restrictions then those devices will still have their MAC address saved on Fing app. But the new devices wont be able to show mac addresses. The Fing app will identify the devices on best effort basis then.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rasa
    Every time I click on the "Wake on Lan" button for a device that's doesn't have a MAC address:

I am presented with this popup:

Why can't the app save the MAC after I enter it?
    I hope that helps, and thanks again for all your help!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @rasa
    You are entering MAC address to run a feature. It is not a device discovery feature. As stated, we have not implemented such feature where user can edit or save the MAC address for any device manually. But I can pass this suggestion to our developers for review. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • rasa
    @robin Thanks for your reply. I'm thankful that you understand the issue that users are having with the program baggering the user to reenter the same data over and over. My other 2 questions remain unanswered:
    2. Is there any sort of workaround? How is having a FingBox a workaround? See question 3:
    3. Does the Fing Desktop app, or the FingBox, collect MACs, and then provide them to the iOS (or Android) app to be stored, so the user isn't pestered for the information?
    Thanks, Ross
    Epe
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @rasa
    None of the applications collect MAC and then provide it to Android or ios to be stored. You are getting confused how the Fing app identify devices.
    As I previously mentioned, The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

Even with Fingbox, the device discovery will remain same as it is done by Fing app which is on best effort basis so the only workaround will be to install Fing desktop and then run the scan as Fing desktop has better device identification and you can manage your Fing desktop network via Fing app.

To note: Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • rasa
    edited June 18, 2021 #14
    @Robin. Thank you for the detailed reply, but I'm not confused. I'm just asking questions to address what is a very simple issue. And I'm not sure why you are describing the discovery functionality as my issue is not related to that at all.

My issue is that I am unable to save information I entered, so I have to constantly renter it each time I perform the "Wake on Lan" action. After I enter the MAC address to wake a device, Apple is not stopping us from saving the MAC address, right? So why bring the discovery issues up? They're not related.

Please let your developers know the enhancement I am seeking is a simple one, and has nothing to do with the discovery issues you've raised.

Also, you state the "Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses." This is not true. I can see all my MAC addresses for all my old (pre-iOS-11) devices. In the screenshot in my June 4th post in this thread, you can clearly see the MAC address for one of my devices.

If you add this functionality, then you can again use the MAC address to identify devices, making you app more valuable to your users.

Thanks,
    Ross
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @rasa
    To address your query: 'My issue is that I am unable to save information I entered, so I have to constantly renter it each time I perform the "Wake on Lan" action.'
    We have not implemeted this requested feaure where you enter the MAC address on WOL to wake a device and that MAC address gets saved in the Fing app. 
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass this suggestion to our developers for consideration and hopefully it will be reviewed over for future versions.
    2) ''Also, you state the "Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses." This is not true. I can see all my MAC addresses for all my old (pre-iOS-11) devices. In the screenshot in my June 4th post in this thread, you can clearly see the MAC address for one of my devices.''
    This is true for devices which were updated to ios11. If you have used Fing app before ios11 release then Fing app will save those device with their MAC address. 
    If you delete the saved network and start the scan again then it wont be able to identify MAC addresses. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)