How can I add more than one personal device to a person?

Felix_fngFelix_fng Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment

All mobile phones can access both of 2,4 and 5 GHz wlan, and most house routers support both as well. When a personal device connects to the other net than earlier, it gets another mac address, and the show wo is hole function does not work in those cases.

How can I add more than one device or mac address to a person's personal device?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 172
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    All devices that support both 2.5 and 5GHz wlan do not have two MAC addresses. Most devices, including smartphones, usually, only have one physical MAC address for wifi, and it can be used on either the 2.5 or 5GHz network, but not at the same time. Unfortunately, most home routers and Fing don't currently have a way to associate another MAC address to one MAC address. The reason you are seeing other MAC addresses is because of the private MAC addresses being created by iOS and Android. Those are "virtual", not physical. If you turn off private MAC addresses, you should be seeing the physical MAC address your device has. If you are using private MAC addresses, when you connect to your 2.5GHz network, it will use one private (virtual) MAC address. If you disconnect and then connect to your 5GHz network, your phone will create another new private MAC address.

Answers

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 172
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited May 22
    Since iOS 14, for Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, iWatch), and Android 10, both have started using private MAC addresses, when connecting to wifi networks. It is for privacy reasons, so it is harder to track your device. It is not necessarily a router or Fing issue, as it was Apple and Google, who made the decision. However, it does make it harder for your wifi router, and security devices, like Fingbox/Fing, to know who or what the device is. Both (router and Fing) just see it as a "new" device connecting to your network, which what is happening when your phone connects to your 5GHz wifi, from the 2.5Ghz, and vice-versa. As the devices are on your personal wifi network, and to help let your network know that the private MAC address is your phone, you can turn off the private MAC address for your network. Please note, you are only turning it off for your network, and not for new wifi networks you may connect to. Here is an article for iOS devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227, and one for Android devices: https://www.howtogeek.com/722653/how-to-disable-random-wi-fi-mac-address-on-android/. I understand it may be difficult to ask others to turn it off, when on your network, or you may have a different network situation where you cannot ask. In those cases, it may be better to enable a "guest" network, if not already enabled, and have them connect to it. Again, it may not be best, but, for now, those are the only options.

• Felix_fngFelix_fng Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I don't think you understood the core of my question.... My question is how I can make more than one mac device be a personal device. No matter what Google or apple says, all devices that support both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz wlan, will have to different mac addresses.

Harm
  • Felix_fngFelix_fng Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I did not know about the virtual MAC adresses, but if that is the case, it should be possible to have two personal devices, i assume the virtual mac is the same all the time, it has at least never changed in my network. I can't understand why there is any problem to associate two mac addresses, if one is online, the user is "home".
    Harm