Network - Performance - Internet Performance

foresthus
foresthus Member Posts: 10
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited May 19, 2021 in Fingbox #1
Hi, I was wondering, if the "fingbox version 1" is able to handle Connections more than 500MBit down and more than 100MBit Upload. My provider sold me 600/150MBit, but the tests are only beneeth 500/100MBit. Perfoming a test with a PC ans a cache-cleaned browser, the rate is better. Is the "fingbox version 1" too old? I have got only managed gigabit switsches and nic's. Most of the cable is CAT7 or even CAT8. Via WLAN-Speedtest the rate ist by between 195 and 320MBit. Where should I search and optimize?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @foresthus

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • foresthus
    Hi, first of all thanx for your reply. What I did next. I tested my connection (https://stadtwerkenms.speedtestcustom.com/result/cc7b0320-bd71-11eb-bd53-e92e15378b0e). Here I had the results: 575.0MBps/137.0MBps. Than I did what you said. I turned off the fingbox1 and turned it on again. I made the speedtest via my IPhone-App. The result was 484,0MBps/137,0MBps. These results where made parallel.
    Now my question again. Does the fingbox1 has got a hardware restriction to get better results or is your provider making the speedtests to slow?

• foresthus
    Robin said:
    Hi @foresthus

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

please check the performance. look at my results. thnx a lot
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @foresthus
    To answer your query, ''Does the fingbox1 has got a hardware restriction to get better results or is your provider making the speedtests to slow?''
    Fingbox does not have any hardware restrictions for internet speed test. We use M-labs API and given the different location of test servers and their unique methodology, M-Lab test results may differ from other commercial services. M-Lab servers are located in the most important exchange nodes of the global Internet, you can see the test locations here.

Your test results can change in a short time, and they could differ from other internet speed test results. Results can vary for many reasons, like changes in network conditions, changes in where testing servers are located.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • foresthus
    I tried a Test directly via browser and that is my result:

Doing a speedtest via fingbox1 there is only 450Mbit/120MBit.

Please tell me now why?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Can you do a speedtest from M-Lab site instead of Speedtest? Link: https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • foresthus

• foresthus
    edited August 18, 2021 #9

but this test shows more performance.

• foresthus

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    foresthus said:

The results are somewhat similar from M-labs website. As mentioned, M-labs rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)