Problem on people tab - Category greyed out so can't save new people or assign devices to them

Fallschirm
Fallschirm Member Posts: 2
First Comment
I'm using the fing app connected only to my fingbox.  
I have a technical issue where I'm trying to assign devices to a person.  I add the person, but can't save because the buttons to add that person to a category (eg family, friend, other) are greyed out, and fing won't let me save without picking one, and I can't pick one.
I'm on the same network as the fingbox, and in all other respects it's working fine.  Fing app used to handle the fingbox is on an iphone running the latest ios.
There are no other fing networks, I don't use fing for anything at all other than to manage the single network the fingbox is connected to, so I can't be on the wrong network.
fingtera

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ Fallschirm , please confirm that you are actually connected to the Fingbox network.  Sometimes you can be connected to your network, but one that was scanned by your phone. Settings can be greyed out on that network.  Only the Fingbox scanned network can get these features enabled.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Fallschirm
    Fallschirm Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I'm not sure that I understand your comment.  

As I noted in the original question "There are no other fing networks, I don't use fing for anything at all other than to manage the single network the fingbox is connected to, so I can't be on the wrong network."  

When I start up fing, I grab the dropdown and choose the fingbox network.  What else is there that I can or should do.  I have no other fing network
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I start up fing, I grab the dropdown and choose the fingbox network.  What else is there that I can or should do.  I have no other fing network
    This is what I was looking for, you're doing the right thing.  

Just as an FYI, every network you scan with your phone either without the Fingbox or with the Fingbox shows up as a network in the mobile app.  In some cases people accidentally rescan the same network as the Fingbox but with their phone's Wifi, which could create an unmanaged yet duplicate network.  if one chooses the wrong network by accident, things will look the same but you will not be able to utilize any of the extra Fingbox functions.

Anyway, lets tag @Robin from Fing to see if he any ideas as to why this is greyed out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • WJRuffing
    WJRuffing Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

I am able to do everything except assign a CATEGORY to a new user. Each category icon is inactive.

This prevents me from SAVING the new user. When I attempt to SAVE the new user I get an error message telling I must assign a category, but the Fing mobile app won’t allow user categories to be set.

This appears to be a bug (it used to work).

I am using Fing on iOS with a Fingbox

fingterahakamadare
  • fingtera
    fingtera Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I have what seems to the same or related problem.  When I am on the fingbox ntwork, I see the "People" tab.  When I try to "Add user", I can enter a name, gender, and select the user's devices.  But I cannot get a category selection to take hold, and so the app won't let me save the user.
    hakamadare
  • fingtera
    fingtera Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Same problem: can *almost* add a user, but unable to assign a category and therefore unable to save the user assignment. 
    Fing iOS 11.2.0
    hakamadare
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for reporting @WJRuffing @fingtera @Fallschirm
    I have tried to replicate the issue and I can confirm that it might be a small UI bug. I have passed on the feedback to developers for review. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Jhonnel
    Jhonnel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Issue experience from selecting category in adding new user in fing app. This is only issue noticed from my ios but in android it works well. Please help.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Jhonnel said:

Issue experience from selecting category in adding new user in fing app. This is only issue noticed from my ios but in android it works well. Please help.

I can confirm that it might be a small UI bug. I have passed on the feedback to developers for review. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!