Notifications for TV that not powered.

TWolf
TWolf Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I have just noticed some strange behaviour - I've started getting notifications for a TV that's switched off at the mains - I have checked.   As you can see in the screenshot, the TV was switched off this morning at 08:32, but at 17:07 got the first of two "In Range" notifications.  

Does anyone have an idea as to why or how this is happening?

Thanks.

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,740
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @TWolf

The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for specific users/devices is that you might have changed the state change alert from a default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert.

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 20 minutes. This will resolve your issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • TWolf
    TWolf Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    I understand what you are saying, but the TV was switched off at 08:32 as reported in the Fing screenshot.  It was NOT in stand-by mode but completely switched off, so no power going to it.  
    So how then, 8+ hours later, does Fing report it being "In Range" when there is no power to the TV ?
    I'm not sure changing the value will have any affect, but I'll change it anyway.

I have the 'State Change Timeout' set the same on all my devices and I've had this issue with just the TV, and only over the last 2 days.