What advantage does a Fing Box offer over Fing Desktop Premium

bubba13
bubba13 Member Posts: 14
10 Comments
Assuming I can continue running Fing, I'm trying to decide whether to get the Desktop Premium or a Fing Box. 
I want to maintain and save a historical list of devices that connect to my network. I also want notifications every time a device connects.
Connectivity notifications are OK, but I don't care about them much.
I do, however, want to discover potentially hidden devices on my network that may not show up on an Angry IP scan.
I'd appreciate any of your opinions that might influence my buying decision.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @bubba13

Fing Desktop is a completely separate product from the Fingbox. From a technical standpoint, in comparison to other Fing products, it can be considered:

Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box.

Fing Desktop allows a far more precise engine than the Fing mobile app, but doesn’t require a purchase of a dedicated hardware.

From what you have described you will need a Fingbox. To see all features of Fingbox, check this link: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/what-can-fingbox-do/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    I've been reading a lot about Fing Box, but I'm not sure what it actually is: Is it a router? If not, How does it control access to my router?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    bubba13 said:
    I've been reading a lot about Fing Box, but I'm not sure what it actually is: Is it a router? If not, How does it control access to my router?
    Fingbox is a monitoring device that connects to your router to manage your home network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    How does Fing box control my router? does it login via SSH? How can Fing control access permissions, etc. without having complete control over it?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    bubba13 said:
    How does Fing box control my router? does it login via SSH? How can Fing control access permissions, etc. without having complete control over it?
    Fingbox connects directly to your router. The way the Fingbox works is through ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing.  So what is happening is that when you block a single device, the computer DHCP address and DNS entries gets changed and pointed to the Fingbox.  So this device is blocked from getting to the internet or internal resources. 

For more information on ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing see the following links: 
    Blocking is done by DNS/Blocking Spoofing. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_blocking 

The Fingbox/App work to pause things by a process called ARP poisoning/Blocking. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing
    Robin (Admin at Fing)