Fing won't work on Mac with Intel

bubba13
bubba13 Member Posts: 14
10 Comments
Yesterday, Fing was working. Today, it doesn't work. I uninstalled it with the intention of uninstalling it.
HOWEVER, I discovered that Fing now only works with Macs with the Apple M1 chip.
This was an unwelcome and disturbing surprise.
Does a way exist to download and install the Mac Intel version?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,664
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 #2 Accepted Answer
    Glad it sorted itself out but wow, this was a tough one.  If this helps, the App Store on the right type of Mac will show two distinct types of apps.  Intel and M1, with M1 being the new chip design, ARM.  Those Arm based apps are the same ones as what would run on an iPhone.  

Two issues here though...  The first is that you should never see ARM based apps if your Mac is Intel based.  Secondly, you would specifically have to choose to see iPhone/iPad app from your App Store profile to see them. ( https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/install-any-ios-app-m1-mac/ )

Either way, really glad its working fro you now...

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

Answers

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bubba13, where did you read that?  Fing is fully supported on Intel Macs.   I'm running the latest, 2.6.0, as I type this without issue.  Here is the link to the current version...

https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop-download-mac

• bubba13
    10 Comments
    Hi Marc. Thank you for your reply. Here's where I read this: To help you understand, I've taken screen shots of my journey to the disastrous discovery that Fing no longer works on Mac with Intel.

1. First, I was at the fing website.
    2. I click on AppStore. Notice that APPLE says, "Not Compatible with this Device." I have a MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.3.1 on an Intel CPU.

3. I click on "See full list of compatible devices." Notice that ONLY Apple M1 chip Macs can run Fing.

This shocked me because I could run Fing a few days ago.
    I was about to pay for premium too. I'm glad I didn't because, as you can see, I'd be unable to use the app in any way, shape of form.

Marc, I'm very discouraged about this situation.

Best regards.

• bubba13
    10 Comments
    One more thing, Marc... I tried the download link that you provided. It doesn't work. MacOS says that the app is damaged and can't be run... probably because it requires the new Apple CPU to run. See the screenshot. I'm not making this up.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fing is not available on the Intel side of the Mac app store.  it almost looks like your pulling from the iOS App Store on your Mac, which would explain why it is not compatible but I can't explain how an Intel Mac can see that.  

Try and download the app from Fing's website and see if you have the same issue.  

https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop-download-mac

On my 2018 intel Mac mini with Big Sur 11.3.1, I don't see anything from Fing in the App Store..
    My top search results below...

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 #7
    Sorry, I just read your second entry.  Try to go to Fing.com and then click through to get the desktop, rather then going directly as I posted.  Before you install it, remember to remove all vestiges of the old app, including any saved copies.  Check to make sure nothing Fing related is running in processes.  Once you've confirmed this, reboot, then attempt to install the binary you just downloaded.  

Just to see if anything was indeed wrong with their binaries, I downloaded the file from the original link I sent you and installed it without issue.  
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Marc said:
    Sorry, I just read your second entry.  Try to go to Fing.com and then click through to get the desktop, rather then going directly as I posted.  Before you install it, remember to remove all vestiges of the old app, including any saved copies.  Check to make sure nothing Fing related is running in processes.  Once you've confirmed this, reboot, then attempt to install the binary you just downloaded.  

Just to see if anything was indeed wrong with their binaries, I downloaded the file from the original link I sent you and installed it without issue.  
    Thanks @[email protected]
    In addition to Marc's advice, you can try to install Fing desktop in safe mode and it will install. Please make sure you are installing Fing desktop under the Applications folder only.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    I appreciate your spending your time to help me with this. Sadly, I believe that my initial assessment was right: Fing no longer runs on an Intel Mac.  Here's what happens when I try to install from the download. I don't know what this means, but I'm pretty sure it means I can't install it.

• bubba13
    10 Comments
    I'm trying it in "safe mode" now. Just a sec.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify, Fing does normally run on Intel Macs running macOS.  

However as your screenshots show, you do seem to have an issue installing it on your Mac.  I'm not sure what the issue is but I am still perplexed that you were seeing the iOS version of the app when you went and searched for it in the App Store.  That should not happen in an intel based Mac.  This is not Fings issue but something with macOS on your system.  @Robin, back to you.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    I don't know. I thought that Apple chip was the new Apple chip for mac. You seem to think that it's talking about an Iphone.
    I'm not sure. That doesn't make sense. I didn't think it was possible to load the iPhone App store on a Mac.
    Hmmm.
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    I just rebooted and installed Fing in safe mode. It worked.
    However, I'm now back to the place that led me to uninstall (and attempt to reinstall) Fing in the first place.
    See screenshot

• bubba13
    10 Comments
    This is exhausting. I suppose I need to find an app that approximates the features and performance of Fing. Do you have any suggestions?
  • bubba13
    10 Comments
    WOW. for no apparent reason, the app just loaded.
    I really don't understand the problem, so I certainly understand that someone else doesn't understand the problem.
    I guess I can relax now.
    You were very kind to spend your time assisting me. Thank you all for your help. 

MarcRobin_from_Fing