what is ip address they just showed up about a month or so ago

Shawn_MichaelShawn_Michael Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

ip-10-0-0-254.us-west-2.compute.internal

i have 3 other ip's like that on three other devices. i have xfinity. i let someone on my wifi, and this started showing up.

thanks

Answers

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 170
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    It appears to be a default hostname of an Amazon EC2 Linux instance:

Are you or anyone on your network running any Amazon EC2 virtual linux instances?

• Shawn_MichaelShawn_Michael Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic

No , i not sure what the is, is that something i can check to see if it is running on my pc or laptop?

• Mike_Mike_ Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): you are almost certainly fine. This is a weirdness with how Internet addresses are turned in names.

I don't know what your background is, but the basics are that computers on a network use numerical IP addresses to know how to reach each other. Humans use names. DNS is the service that translates between the two. When you tell your browser you want to go to www.google.com, your computer uses DNS to find the IP address. That process also works in reverse, to turn addresses into names.

A long time ago, the Internet governing body set aside several groups of IP addresses that were for private networks only, and would never route across the Internet. Your home network uses those addresses and something called Network Address Translation (NAT) to map the one public IP your Internet Service Provider gives you to whoever in your house is doing whatever. Any IP starting with 10 is one of those private ranges. So 10.0.0.254 is a private address, and your router/modem is giving it to one of your devices. Since it's a private address, lots of people and places use it, including Amazon, for AWS.

Where things get dumb is when something - your fingbox or app - tries to find a human name for the address in relation to the device on your network one of two things is happening. Either the app/box isn't asking your router, or your router isn't answering with local information. Either way, it then goes out to the big Internet DNS, asking for a name to go with the address. Amazon's DNS servers are answering with what they know (they really shouldn't, for 10-net, so we have at least two configuration oddities) and giving you the name they know, which is that weird looking name (if those numerical names are useful is another question).

I'm making some assumptions here, but this is the most likely thing. If I'm close to right, then this doesn't show you're linked to Amazon or anyone is/could spy on you via this, or anything like that.

All the best,

Mike

• Shawn_MichaelShawn_Michael Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic

Thanks so much for time. I can rest easier now, have a great day.....

Mike_