Warning - Ethernet link speed is not optimal

ChrismTCL
ChrismTCL Member, Beta Tester Posts: 28
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Likes
✭✭
edited April 13, 2021 in Fing Desktop discussions #1
Have my MacBook pro connected to an HP thunderbolt 3 G2 docking station via a thunderbolt 3  cable , that provides 1 GBit ethernet and various other ports. When connected Fing Desktop is giving the warning Ethernet link speed is not optimal.

This can't be correct surely as thunderbolt 3 is able to handle gigabyte traffic.

Any help me on this one ? 

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ChrismTCL
    What is 'Home' healthcheck saying? if you can share a screenshot or even better a shared report, it would be very helpful. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    created E524142E94088499.webloc - does that help ?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ChrismTCL said:
    created E524142E94088499.webloc - does that help ?
    I am sorry but did you DM me the report? I am unable to see any information. Can you share the report link with me or DM it to me? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    I sent you a DM yesterday (I think) did you receive it and the information you requested ?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ChrismTCL said:
    I sent you a DM yesterday (I think) did you receive it and the information you requested ?
    I recieved the information. I am seeking further advice on this and I will get back to you. In meantime, Can you let me know what network context is set on Fing desktop? Also, is your device connected directly with router?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    My device is connected through a Linksys (Cisco) SR2016 gigabit router and the context is Office. No other device on the same network reports less than Gigabit speed.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ChrismTCL said:
    My device is connected through a Linksys (Cisco) SR2016 gigabit router and the context is Office. No other device on the same network reports less than Gigabit speed.

We have released a new Fing desktop version 2.6.0. Can you please uninstall this version and download and install the latest version and check if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    Installed 2.6.0 and am connected by wireless only and error is still showing. Is there a history kept somewhere and it is just displaying it as it has not cleared. Cannot understand why error reported when this MacBook does not have an Ethernet port until attached to the HP Dock

I will attach to my HP Dock to see if error is reported.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ChrismTCL said:
    Installed 2.6.0 and am connected by wireless only and error is still showing. Is there a history kept somewhere and it is just displaying it as it has not cleared. Cannot understand why error reported when this MacBook does not have an Ethernet port until attached to the HP Dock

I will attach to my HP Dock to see if error is reported.
    Once you check with your HP dock please let me know. Also, if possible DM me the screenshot of the healthcheck report or possible the link of the health check report. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    Robin, have connected back to Dock after shutting down and restarting. Still get same message. However I also am seeing not connected to Internet warning, but when I select test speed it goes through the process fine and reports a healthy up and down speed. When returns to Home screen still reports not connected to internet. Something somewhere doesn't like or understand my Thunderbolt 3 dock station. 

copied from Home screen below

YOUR CURRENT NETWORK

Not connected

Wifi Signal

Requires a wireless or wired connection to scan

OUR INTERNET PROVIDER

No Internet

No Internet logo

Internet is not reachable at this time.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @ChrismTCL
    If you dont use the docking station and connect to internet, then does the issue persists? Did you upgrade to latest version of Fing desktop 2.6.0?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ChrismTCL
    ✭✭
    Robin, if I take he dock out of the loop I can only connect to the Internet via WiFi as Apple didn't include any ports other than Thunderbolt 3 and a headphone socket on this laptop, hence the use of the dock. So heres result of WiFi only. Can't understand why can do speed test when it says it's not connected. Perhaps the old results haven't been cleared out.

YOUR CONNECTIVITY HEALTH

You have warnings

Your have warnings in your device configuration. Health check code: W008.

Updates are automatic, but you can refresh manually, too.
    • MacBook Pro

Not connected

• Your Network

Sky in Edgware (10.211.55.0/24)

• No Internet

YOUR CURRENT NETWORK

Not connected

Wifi Signal

Requires a wireless or wired connection to scan

YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER

No Internet

No Internet logo

Internet is not reachable at this time.

1 outages

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @ChrismTCL
    I have sent you a private mail to address this query and investigate better. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)