Router and laptop periodically showing as Cimsys device

Hi there -- at various times my router has appeared in the device list as a Cimsys device with the same IP address (10.0.0.1) but the MAC address 00:11:22:AB:CD:EE. Most recently my router was displaying my laptop IP and the same Cimsys MAC address. Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance for your insight!

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,766
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the post. I am sure our moderators can advice you better. Any advice @Marc @Pixel @rooted

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,675
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give us a little background on how your network is setup? For example, the type of equipment your using, aka router model, if you have any range extenders etc...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @CZPatterson as your MAC address is the same in the examples you quote it is likely that Fing is misidentifying the device (the hardware mac address doesn’t change). The next time it happens type the IP Address (10.0.0.1)in a web browser and see if you actually access your router or a different device this should give you a pretty good idea what’s happening & if it proves to be misidentification you can edit & correct the name for future reference.
    The other alternative is to block the device and see what you lose access to, I would only recommend this approach as a last resort as, if it’s your router, you may need to reset it to regain access.
    Back up everything before you start.
    As always, check your AV software is current before doing your investigation.

GOOD LUCK.
  • CZPatterson
    CZPatterson Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited April 13, 2021 #5
    Thank you both, and hi, Daphnee! I have the Technicolor CGM4140 and three Shaw WIFI pod range extenders.

I should clarify -- the MAC address is the same in both of the images I posted but it is not the MAC address of the router.

I'll take your advice to check the admin console when it happens next and see if anything jumps out. Appreciate the input.
  • CZPatterson
    CZPatterson Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Here is an example of what Fing desktop displays on my network re: above. The Devices report shows the correct MAC address for my router (with an incorrect one and the OS of the device I'm accessing it from directly above), but the Home network report shows the incorrect one as active -- at the same time. 

I'm curious -- Should I take Fing results at face value or are they just “best guess” and kind of just for fun? They are always so all over the place that I don’t trust the information at all, but it's not a particularly expensive tool and maybe I'm expecting too much from it. Any thoughts on this?
  • Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I have the same router as the poster above and just noticed this as well. The technicolor. Running on Cox. This router still has xfinity coding all over it and I think it’s a bug of some kind

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited June 8, 2021 #8

I have the same router as the poster above and just noticed this as well. The technicolor. Running on Cox. This router still has xfinity coding all over it and I think it’s a bug of some kind.

how to delete comments? Double posted