Can I view Fingbox network on Fing desktop?

cptoaks
cptoaks Member Posts: 2
First Anniversary Photogenic
I own a fingbox and i installed fing desktop on my mac. So now my network is monitored from the fingbox and from the fing app, which seems redundant. Furthermore, on my fing iPhone app I can see both the fingbox network and the fing desktop network. There seems to be a difference in features (e.g. the fingbox network sends alerts and I can assign devices to people). Is there a way to see the fingbox network on the fing desktop, to eliminate redundancy?

Answers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AK47
    AK47 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Oh bummer. I have been a long time user of fing app / fingbox and just upgraded to premium. .... is there a plan to allow that feature @Ciaran? Any suggestions on how to avoid retyping the device details?

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AK47 said:
    Oh bummer. I have been a long time user of fing app / fingbox and just upgraded to premium. .... is there a plan to allow that feature @Ciaran? Any suggestions on how to avoid retyping the device details?

Currently, there is no timeframe that the requested feature but the suggestion has been already passed on to product & development team. If there is any update, we will let all users know via newsletter. Thanks
    For retyping device details, can you explain the issue in detail?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    AK47
  • AK47
    Thanks @Robin_from_Fing. Using Fing App and connecting to the FingBox, I have named and assigned to people the various devices I have in my house. Since Fing Desktop doesn't connect to FingBox, those settings are not in it (unless I am missing something?). For example the People tab on Fing Desktop is blank, whereas on my Fing App (connected to FingBox) I have all my household members, and guests. Anyway, is there a way to "import" these settings - device names, people, etc.? 

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AK47
    At this stage there is no option to import Fingbox settings to Fing desktop/Fing app network but it can be taken as a suggestion for future versions. I will pass on the suggestion to product and development team for consideration
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Yaraman
    Yaraman Member Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I am very confused.

I have a Fingbox and use the Fing app on my mobile, which has all my settings.

I am a premium user who also uses the Fing desktop app on my Mac, which doesn’t appear to see my Fingbox or the settings, such as users.

If I am reading the above correctly, this is because the Fingbox desktop app cannot see or share the settings on my Fingbox?! This cannot be right? What is the point of using the desktop app if it cannot sync with my existing setup? Please advise, in the hope I have misunderstood this?

• RicardoPass
    RicardoPass Member Posts: 11
    Yaraman said:

I am very confused.

I have a Fingbox and use the Fing app on my mobile, which has all my settings.

I am a premium user who also uses the Fing desktop app on my Mac, which doesn’t appear to see my Fingbox or the settings, such as users.

If I am reading the above correctly, this is because the Fingbox desktop app cannot see or share the settings on my Fingbox?! This cannot be right? What is the point of using the desktop app if it cannot sync with my existing setup? Please advise, in the hope I have misunderstood this?

The way I understand it is that Desktop is both the CLIENT and the SERVER - so if you use the Desktop app you don't need to purchase the Box because the desktop app is doing it's own network inventory / monitoring and has it's own network database.

And the Box only talks to the Mobile app.

Frankly I don't see a reason to run the Box anymore since to manage the network on my computer I have to run the Desktop.
  • AK47
    Well, having invested in a box.... and being able to access it from a number of different Clients; it would be great if one of those Clients was a desktop Client. Is that on a roadmap?
    RicardoPass
  • claudiolr
    claudiolr Member Posts: 10
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

Frankly I don't see a reason to run the Box anymore since to manage the network on my computer I have to run the Desktop.
    If you turn off pc you can't manage network so Fingbox is a perfect solution. When I am away from home I prefer mobile app and fingbox :):smile: