MAC address on the app?

Nubeinneedofhelp123
Nubeinneedofhelp123 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited April 11, 2021 in Fing App #1

Hi Guys

I’ve been using the app now for a couple of months, mainly to check what was connected to the guest network, as I can’t with virginmedia, & I’ve been having issues for months with the internet, headwork honestly!!, earlier in the week my password for the app was wrong & had to change it, now one of the devices MAC address is showing? And it didn’t before, pulled the Ethernet cable out of my Xbox earlier & the TiVo box disconnected off the app, Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,712
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nubeinneedofhelp123 , I moved this to the Fing app area for you for relevance.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Nubeinneedofhelp123
    Nubeinneedofhelp123 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Hi Marc

Thanks, I’m new on here and since I’ve had the app, it has always said it can’t show the MAC address because apple won’t allow it, I’m not the most technical bloke, more hands on mechanical.

I went away for a weekend last July and I’ve had nothing but problems ever since, I’ve had 3 new routers from virgin, My Mac has had stuff moved & deleted on there,I think my sister has put me on some sort of local network, but I’m the main cable coming into the house, my router IP changed to 192.168.2.1 from 192.168.0.1 when I came home that weekend & it’s changed twice since, it’s blowing my mind honestly , we’re in a middle of a pandemic, I don’t know what to do or where to turn to.

Thanks

Gregg

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,712
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pixel or @Robin , any suggestions for @Nubeinneedofhelp123 ?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 #5
    Hi @Nubeinneedofhelp123 Fing is showing the results of the scan on your network, those results will be based on the device you use to run & check the scan. Apple devices (mobile devices) will “definitely” not display any MAC addresses for security reasons, also, Apple mobile devices now use private addressing for security across networks and so when connecting to a wifi network it will generate a different “dummy MAC address” each time you connect, fing will highlight the “new” connection.

So, I doubt that the MAC address shown is actually your iPhone, the screenshots indicate, to me, that the scan has misidentified the Xbox & iPhone, I think that the ip address 192.168.0.12 has been allocated to your Xbox and that the MAC address belongs to the Xbox as well (you should be able to check the Xbox label to confirm this).

I have proven locally that on an iphone based Fing scan, when viewing device details in the fing scan results, Microsoft device details WILL display the MAC address, which supports my theory. This could well be a bug, probably with MS but I can’t be sure.

With respect to the Router IP address changing, the system admin (your sister?) could have changed it or there may have been a connectivity problem causing the allocation of a “self generated” ip address outside the normal range of your network. Try rescanning your network, then check if you can successfully ping the address of the router (if you need to).
    If a guest network has been setup the the second ip address (in a different subnet) may be the router address in the guest network.
    This should, hopefully, clear things up (or give some pointers). You could, of course, ask your sister if she has modified the network at all!

Phew...🤪
    Marc