Fing Desktop Display Window

dbarkley
dbarkley Los AngelesMember Posts: 12
10 Comments Photogenic
I have a Macbook Pro 2018 15in running Fing Desktop 2.5.1. Once every few days the top half of the Home display disappears (except for the right-hand labels "This Device", "Your Network" and "Internet".

Usually rebooting restores Fing but not always.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have a solution?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Execute when you get Fing service not found.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

Answers

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dbarkley , could you screenshot the app next time it does this. Also, which version of macOS would you be using?

@Robin , could you suggest a way to Troubleshoot this?

• dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I will do that. With respect to troubleshooting, I've been turning off suspect apps and services in groups (antivirus, VPN, etc.), but so far have found no culprit. I've also allowed the failure to continue without rebooting and have that, on occasion, the Fing repairs itself on its own.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone else recently reported a graphic anomaly on macOS which is why I wanted you to screenshot it.  Once you can post that, we will get Fing involved to see if they have any ideas.
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks, Marc. I have them.

There are two types. The type I described in my opening question looks like this:

The second and rarer type looks like this:

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let try this...  Go in and stop all of the running Fing services if they are running.  Once you have confirmed there are no Fing service running, go and uninstall the application.  Reboot your Mac.  When it comes back up, go in and confirm one more time that the Fing service is not running anywhere.  Download a fresh copy of the Fing app for macOS and install.  Make sure you choose all of the defaults when you install.

Post here to let us know how it went....
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Hi Marc.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Fing. I uninstalled Fing using an app called "App Cleaner and Uninstaller" by Nektony. This product removes everything, including any plists that are uniquely associated with the product. I've only used defaults with Fing. After the uninstall, Activity Monitor showed nothing nothing that looked like Fing running.

I did not to a file search for leftovers because earlier similar searches have never led to anything. I'm happy to do it again if you think it's necessary.

Thanks much for your help!

Dave
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another troubleshooting step from Fing’s @Robin ....

In order to address this query, first I would like to confirm that you are:

Installing the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.

If you have "Service not found" error, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using 'launchctl' in conjunction with the -w switch. This will disable the service. This condition can remain, even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled.

To resolve:

Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist

• dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    It is definitely in the Applications folder although i keep an alias in a desktop folder called "Tools".

Are you saying that somehow the service launches on boot incorrectly. Should I use this terminal command now or wait for a problem. Will this address both of the error windows I occasionally get or only the "Fing Service not found" error.

This is all good stuff! Thanks!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the Fing service not found errors.

• dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    It never raised an error number but it certainly misbehaved. Should I execute your terminal command only when I get a "Fing Service not found" error or if I get the "empty top of screen" (type 1) screen I showed you previously. In other words, is this a fix just for this individual crash or will it fix the launch problem so that it will no longer occur when I restart my Mac?
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    When I finally execute the command line you gave me will that cure this problem permanently or only serve as an alternative to rebooting?

What I'm looking for is a way to stabilize the program so that I don't have to keep monitoring it.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @dbarkley
    I have replied to you via your support ticket. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Marc, I've responded to Robin via my support ticket but she did not answer the question I asked you.

"When I finally execute the command line you gave me will that cure this problem permanently or only serve as an alternative to rebooting?

What I'm looking for is a way to stabilize the program so that I don't have to keep monitoring it."

If it's not a problem, I'd like your thoughts on the use of "sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist".

As I read that it will serve an alternative to a reboot but won't solve the long term problem of long term stability. That would seem to be either a change in Fing configuration or a newly introduced but via MacOS, one of my applications or Fing. I can rule out the introduction of a new application (there have been none) but I can't rule out some change in existing software.

Has no one else experienced this problem? My setup is not unusual for a developer -- XCode, Mathematica, Python, Eclipse, Visual Studio Code and the Adobe Suite.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, is a "he"...   I think we need him to to answer your question  
    Robin_from_Fing
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Marc, just for your info. When I saw the "Service Unavailable" screen this morning I executed your command line. This changed the display from "Service Unavailable" to the screen where the top half was largely empty (Type 1 in my previous notes).

Nevertheless, thanks for the good attempt.
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    The result of the command execution was:

(base) Davids-MacBook-Pro-1139:~ davidbarkley$ sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist

Password:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist: service already loaded

Load failed: 37: Operation already in progress

(base) Davids-MacBook-Pro-1139:~ davidbarkley$ 

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    dbarkley said:
    Marc, just for your info. When I saw the "Service Unavailable" screen this morning I executed your command line. This changed the display from "Service Unavailable" to the screen where the top half was largely empty (Type 1 in my previous notes).

Nevertheless, thanks for the good attempt.
    As you mentioned you use Visual studio, it also uses Npcap library. Can you check if Npcap from visual studio is creating issues with Fing desktop Npcap library? If that's the case, then you might want to choose between Visual studio or Fing desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin, I'm using Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code. Would I lose both of them if NPcap is a problem?

Dave
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    dbarkley said:
    Robin, I'm using Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code. Would I lose both of them if NPcap is a problem?

Dave
    To address this, all NpCap library version should be same for Fing desktop and Visual studio to work correctly. I believe there is a version difference that is creating compatibility issues with each other as Fing desktop also uses NpCap. Otherwise, you can uninstall the Visual studio and install Fing desktop which will install latest version of NpCap and then you can install Visual studio again and if given an option for NpCAp, you can skip it as you will have latest version of NpCap.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • dbarkley
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Good to know. Thanks. I've removed Fing desktop. I may try this at a later time.