Option to trigger a manual speed test missing

Onesimusix
Onesimusix Member Posts: 7
Photogenic First Comment
edited April 1, 2021 in Fing App #1
What happened to the option to manually trigger a speed test from my Fing box? In the app it will allow me to start a speed test from other networks but when looking at my Fing box I can only view the history and set a schedule. The history shows the scheduled speed tests are occurring, but how do I trigger a manual test? It was especially helpful for remotely diagnosing issues but now it is missing...
Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Onesimusix
    Are you using Fing app on Apple device or Android device so I can recreate this? What is make and model of your device? We do have the option to run manual speed test.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Onesimusix
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2, 2021 #3

I am using Apple devices. It is happening on both my iPhone 11 Pro (image attached) and my 11” iPad Pro (image in previous post). I am running the most recent iOS and Fing app on both devices, although this is not a new problem. I have been unable to manually trigger a speed test for quite a while, definitely for a few iOS iterations. I don’t think it is device specific.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Onesimusix
    I have checked it on my iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 pro and iPad air as well. You can see from the screenshot below that we do have a manual update button. Can you please check if you are using the latest version of Fing app 11.0.0/11.0.1 or not?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Onesimusix
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2, 2021 #5
  • Onesimusix
    Photogenic First Comment

Definitely up to date as much as I can be. 11.01 isn’t available to me yet.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely up to date as much as I can be. 11.01 isn’t available to me yet.

Thanks. I am seeking developers advice on this one and I will get back to you with an update. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Onesimusix
  • Onesimusix
    Photogenic First Comment
    I’ve been doing some troubleshooting on my end, including a full reset of my Fing box.

I can now initiate a speed test from the Home Screen and tell it to use the Fing box rather than my mobile device. So that’s a plus. However, I think the root problem may be that the Fing box is unable to identify my current internet provider. 

This message isn’t true as I do have an internet connection and I can start a speed test from the button here on the home page tab, selecting the Fing box and successfully complete the test.

When I look at the ‘internet’ tab on my Fing box network it shows these details.

So it looks like it is accessing some information but somehow can’t figure out the Aussie Broadband is my ISP.

I suspect the speed test issue is related to the inability of the Fing box to figure out my internet is connected.

Do you have any troubleshooting advice for helping the Fing box identify my ISP?
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 #9
    Thanks @Onesimusix
    We tried to replicate the issue and manual speed test missing button might be an UI bug and we will fix it with next release. For your query, please confirm if correct timezone is set on the Fing app and location permissions are enabled. 
    I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.
     1) Open Fing App and go to 'Network' tab
    2) Click on the ISP tab and click on "Edit"
    3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.
    4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location.
    Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Onesimusix
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Robin. Location services was already enabled but I went through the process again nonetheless. It still can’t resolve my ISP details. As it is happening on my iPhone, iPad and PC it seems reasonable to deduce it is my internet provider causing the issue. If there are any other troubleshooting tips you could offer I’d appreciate it though.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Robin. Location services was already enabled but I went through the process again nonetheless. It still can’t resolve my ISP details. As it is happening on my iPhone, iPad and PC it seems reasonable to deduce it is my internet provider causing the issue. If there are any other troubleshooting tips you could offer I’d appreciate it though.
    Can you first check with your ISP if there are any issues from their side which might help to resolve this? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)