Does Fing work on cellular data or just WiFi?

DmwM3DmwM3 Member Posts: 3
First Comment

I don’t have WiFi I use cellular data on my phone. Can fing operate the same as on WiFi? Is there settings I need to change?

kltaylorVioletChepil

Answers

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi @DmwM3 Fing is intended for the Local network, so if a device is not in one it will tell you that you need to be.

Now, if you use your mobile as a Hotspot to share your data with other devices, any device than join that hotspot will be in a local network (your phone turns in a Wi-Fi router for it) and those devices could use Fing to "discover" that network, but the itself not (because itself is not connected to that network).

Keep looking up!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:

Hi @DmwM3 Fing is intended for the Local network, so if a device is not in one it will tell you that you need to be.

Now, if you use your mobile as a Hotspot to share your data with other devices, any device than join that hotspot will be in a local network (your phone turns in a Wi-Fi router for it) and those devices could use Fing to "discover" that network, but the itself not (because itself is not connected to that network).

Correct, Fing won't show you everyone connected to the cellular network, if it shows anything it will show your device, and that's it.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DmwM3 sorry, but no, in your case neither Fing nor Fingbox will be of any use. Both are designed for home networks (where the consumer has cable, fibre or other service provided by a modem).

Using cellular data only meants your phone and only your phone has a connection. If you were to have some sort of cellular access point (such as a Verizon Jetpack MiFi) then the Fing Application would be able to help with other devices on the same WiFi network, but probably not a FingBox.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help on this thread @Pooh @kltaylor @Hronos :)
    @DmwM3 please choose an answer by choosing: Did this answer the question? Yes · No 
    Thank you!

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor