Device recognition is getting worse

Chulamin
Chulamin Member Posts: 10
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
edited March 30, 2021 in Fing App #1
I'm not certain why but device recognition is deteriorating. Wrong device names and or IP addresses. Whether recognized automatically or changed manually many of the devices are reported with incorrect information. I have made corrections on the Windows desktop app, the mobile Android app and even tried to make changes on the website (limited option). Is it just me or is that just how the system works? I know I have a free subscription, but other than some useful rudimentary information, it seems the program is somewhat less than trustworthy. Even some of the warnings make no sense.
JoeCoolCA

Answers

• JoeCoolCA
    JoeCoolCA Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I’m having a similar experience but I do have a subscription.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All, Can you please share the screenshot of the app you are using? If you are using Fing app, please make sure you are signed in to Fing app and location permissions are enabled? Also, please let me know if you are running Fing app on Apple device or Android device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Chulamin
    I have attached two screens. One shows the list of networked devices. An example of part of the problem is the Belkin Range Extender. The device is on IP 192.168.1.129. Yet it is shown as 192.168.1.44. Opening the details of the device neither shows 192.168.1.129 nor does it show the IPs of off the devices attached to the Range extender. Also, If I filter only online devices, it shows active devices with IP addresses that have been changed as most use DHCP. But this misinformation only shows if I select online only. In addition, changing the detailed information of a device is haphazard at best. Usually when changed it reverts to the original information. Changing the description on the Router works, but not on the Fing software.
    As to the mobile app, I use it on a Galaxy S10e. Changing device details there is not reliable either, but the app is generally more accurate. However, because it gets linked back to the desktop software, I usually need to unlink it to refresh the list manually as I can't rely on the information otherwise.
    The notifications, although helpful can be a little vague in meaning. For instance, I received a connectivity warning today where it indicated that "Microsoft Office 365 is not available". Was the problem at their end, my end or something else? And why be so specific? Inasmuch as I do have a subscription, I wasn't using it at the time and having provided the notification why not provide the URL as well?
    Would a Premium subscription provide me with more useful information and control of the type of notifications received and maybe more accurate device details?
    Anyway, I am just an individual with an interest in the technology and maybe a little too much to say but hopefully others with a little more need/use for a program like Fing may be helped by my opinion :-)
    Thanks
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks for screenshot @Chulamin
    Can you please delete the networks identified by Fing desktop and Fing app and then reboot device and then scan the network again and check if the same results follow?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Chulamin
    Hi. Okay, I removed all devices rebooted and even reinstalled Fing. With the exception of the Belkin Range Extender, It seems to be better . I have attached a couple of screen shots. IPs 192.168.1.44 and 192.168.1.47 are a wireless and wired connection from a Raspberry Pi through the Belkin. There should be two other wired IPs on the Belkin: 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.202 of which only one shows. And the biggest mystery is why the actual IP 192.168.1.129 of the Belkin itself doesn't show anywhere. As a matter of fact Fing shows the Raspberry Pi wireless IP 192.168.1.44 as the IP of the Belkin and also shows it as a separate entry on the line below. Confusing.
    Thanks.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Chulamin
    Are you using another router as range extender? In your case, I believe the network by range extender is creating separate network from the main network by creating a separate network gateway so none of the devices from the other network can access the main network. Fingbox can only manage one network gateway on which it is activated on. 

If you remove range extender and then run the scan again and see if the issue persists? This will help us to isolate the issue.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Chulamin
    HI. It's just a Range Extender. All devices are seen on the same network and DHCP IPs are assigned by the main router. interestingly, the router does not report the IPs of the devices attached to the Range Extender but does accurately show the IP of the Extender itself. Where Fing doesn't seem to read the Extender properly and it seems to change. Frankly, I think the Raspberry PI is confusing Fing. I turned the Pi off and now Fing sees the Range Extender with the correct IP and accurately indicates that there are two devices attached although it only shows the IP of one of them. So, it looks like the Pi may be the culprit confusing Fing but that still doesn't answer why Fing doesn't recognize the Extender properly. 
    Anyway, I'm going into my garage now to turn on the Pi.
    Thanks