Fingbox is messing with DHCP ?

Eörs
Eörs Member Posts: 7
Photogenic First Comment
edited March 25 in Devices & Security
I realized that there were conflicts on my DHCP server ( Mikrotik router ) and the device causing the conflict was the Fingbox. The IP of the box was increasing day after day, all the time causing a conflict on the DHCP server. ( My DHCP lease time is set to 1 day )
Than I thought that I am fixing the HDCP address of the Fingbox, which was working fine in the first place, but now the DHCP server is stuck with the "offering without success" status, however the Fingox is having the IP address I have assigned to it.
Is there something Fingbox is trying to do intentionally or this is a bug or do you think I have something wrong in my home environment ?

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,607
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Eors,
    Can you please DM me the screenshot of the DHCP page of your router? Is Fingbox reporting more than one DHCP in your network?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 25
    Here you are ... Thanks for looking into this !

• Robin
    admin
    Thanks, I am seeking further advice from the developers and I will get back to you with an update. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Eörs
  • Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Do not set FB to a fixed IP. Rather, add its MAC address to your router and assign an IP address to it. Reset both devices and off you go.

• Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    Popula said:

Do not set FB to a fixed IP. Rather, add its MAC address to your router and assign an IP address to it. Reset both devices and off you go.

This is exactly what I did, assigned a "fix" IP to Fingbox. What do you mean by resetting both devices ? Which is the other device ( other than Fingbox ) ? What is the process to reset Fingbox ? Thank you !
  • TheFallingAlchemist
    TheFallingAlchemist Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 31
    a quick workaround is to go into the router, assign the Fing box a static IP, and reboot. This frees up your DHCP/DNS server to do what it needs on the IP it's expecting.  Normally done in the provider's router and easy to get to. If you post the make of the router it should be easy enough to give instructions. 
  • Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    a quick workaround is to go into the router, assign the Fing box a static IP, and reboot. This frees up your DHCP/DNS server to do what it needs on the IP it's expecting.  Normally done in the provider's router and easy to get to. If you post the make of the router it should be easy enough to give instructions. 
    I have a Mikrotik RB1100x4 router and I know how to set up the DHCP server to assign the same IP all the time to a specific host.
    add address=192.168.1.100 client-id=ff:69:61:6:3d:0:2:0:0:ab:11:9c:d3:f6:76:89:4d:25:e0 mac-address=F0:23:B9:EB:1A:A9 server=DHCP

• Robin
    admin
    Thanks Eors. I am seeking further advice on this and I will get back to you with an update. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Eörs
  • Szilard
    Szilard Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have exactly the same problem. I also use Mikrotik routers.
    I set the DHCP leases to a fixed ip for the Fingbox mac address, but i see such error messages in the log: "default offering lease 192.168.1.101 for F0:23:B9:ED:90:A6 without success"
    Eörs
  • Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    Any update on this ? Thanks !!!
  • Robin
    admin
    Thanks for your patience. We have checked with different Fingbox and there has not been any issue with assigning fixed IP address to Fingbox. The issue might not be on Fingbox. It may be the case that microtek router might be causing issues but we cant say for sure. Can you check in with your ISP if they can shed some guidance. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Eörs
  • Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    This is my own router, not the one provided by the ISP. This is actually a high performance and highly sophisticated router for 300 USD. MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: RB1100AHx4 I am using the latest Long Term code, so I am not expecting any issues with the software either.
    Anyway, I have the IP address from the fingbox I want, only my router coming up with DHCP warning messages constantly.
    So it is more a nice to solve issue, rather than a critical one ...
    Szilard
  • Szilard
    Szilard Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have two fingboxes and two microtik routers in two different locations (RB3011 and RB4011). They both do the same problem.

I do the following, it might help to fix the error:

I set a fixed IP for the fingboxes on the router's dhcp server, then restarted the Fingboxes (unplugged and plugged it back in). Then the dhcp server of the router gives ip to the fingbox very nicely, the dhcp leases also show the ip of the fingbox without any problem. At this time, the fingbox led will flash white.

Once the connection is established and the fingbox LED is blue (this is after 1-2 minutes), the error message "conflict" will appear on the dhcp leases and you will start writing the above problems into the log.

What is interesting is that the fingbox still works, I can ping it and access it remotely, it seems to be connected to the network, it works perfectly. Just the "Detected conflict ARP response for [myfingboxip] from [myfingboxmacaddress]" errors in Mikrotik log...

What's more interesting, and I don't know if the two problems have anything to do with each other:

I receive email outage notifications from Fingbox several times a day. Usually 1-2 minutes after the outage notification comes the next email that the outage has been restored.

But in this case there is no outage, internet works. The LED on the fingbox is also blue.
    Eörs
  • Eörs
    Photogenic First Comment
    This is my own router, not the one provided by the ISP. This is actually a high performance and highly sophisticated router for 300 USD. MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: RB1100AHx4 I am using the latest Long Term code, so I am not expecting any issues with the software either.
    Anyway, I have the IP address from the fingbox I want, only my router coming up with DHCP warning messages constantly.
    So it is more a nice to solve issue, rather than a critical one ;)
  • Tom_OUSA
    Tom_OUSA Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Answer First Comment
    Eors,  I suspect it is a problem with Fingbox, either in their DHCP client or ARP processing code.  The MAC address seems to be correct for a Fingbox, and doesn't looked spoofed.  ARP response errors are almost always a problem with code in the responding device, i.e. Fingbox.   If you have a Wi-Fi extender, a) try turning it off and let all devices report directly to the router; b) be sure the Fingbox is wired to the router side, not the extender.  If you don't, then obviously that's not an issue.  (Extenders typically modify MAC addresses and thus mess with Fingbox or any other MAC discovery tools.)   
    There are older posts on the MikroTik support site with similar issues; all were 3rd party DHCP problems, never the MikroTik. 
    One other note, not sure why you want your leases to be only 24 hours; possibly security.  But, if your network is fairly secure, there really is no reason to make it so short.  A longer lease would at least reduce the messages for other devices. 
    Also note that any iOS devices on your network will now, as of the latest update, be causing problems with a Fingbox, as they now create spoofed MAC addresses, thus cannot be reliably identified. (Just a heads up.)  
    Eörs