I know why Fing identifies 2 gateways ..

Deek
Deek Member Posts: 3
First Comment

in my network.

But does anyone know why “who’s on my WiFi identify my cell phone twice , while Fing and other network analysers only see one device . WOMW sees the phone twice with the same internal IP (10.0.0.141). One has the actual gateway (10.0.0.1); the other has the gareway “2.0.0.0.0”. That one is listed as “mac”.

is the second one the phones Internet address or iOS address or what ?

Tagged:

Answers

• Diverking
    Diverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited March 14, 2021 #2
    Why are ther two Gateways mentioned on the Network tab? 192.168.1.1 is the correct one on my router. Second one (192.168.1.48) is the IP from my active Desktop.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,666
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the computer you run this from have two active network interfaces ?  For example, a wired ethernet and a wireless Wifi?  That could give you two gateways, with one being one of the IP addresses associated with the PC and the other your router.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    AviBob
  • Diverking
    edited March 17, 2021 #4
    Hi Marc, This is my desktop  (Asus P6X58D-E running Fing Desktop 2.5.1) with only one wired network interface There is only one gateway (my router). My Fing Android only gives one IP (the correct Gateaway IP) and although I can have more adapters (for example 2 NIC's and one WiFi) the gateway remains the same in my opinion. So I expect only one IP adres as my correct Gateway.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,666
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a valid point. I can say that on my setup, a Mac mini with an active Ethernet and WiFi adapter, I see the two gateways as you do. It made the WiFi interface one of the gateways, the router the other.

@Robin , would you be able to elaborate for @Diverking how the desktop determines the gateway selections?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @Diverking
    For wired connection, Fing desktop will identify the router assigned IP address and if any of the devices are connected via wired connection then the device IP address will be shown under router device as well. 192.168.1.1 is usually the router login address that is used to login to router settings. With multiple NIC cards, their IP address can be identified under same device as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Deek
    Deek Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

because most routers do have 2 gateways. My Fing identifies my both of my Cisco router gateways at 10.0.0.1 and it’s USB port at 10.0.0.255 as “Gateways”.

When I used a otherwise very similar Netgear router (on my Xfinity network), Fing identified both the actual gateway at 192.168.0.1 and the hacker friendly Netgear Readyshare program hosted by their routers at 192.168.0.255 as Gateways.

No need to worry about Fing identifying a usb gateway at ...0.255!

but that Readyshare program is a real pain in the ass. It sends all your info minus passwords to any device that contacts the network behind the Netgear router that hosts it!

• Diverking
    Hi Guys maybe my question is not clear enough or I do not understand but it's clear to me that the second gateway IS DEFINITLY NOT A GATEWAY. It's the IP adres from the connected PC. So my questions Why do I see 2 IP's mentioned under "Gateway"or do I misinterpreted this. My Router has only one gateway.
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭

Network segments, typically, only have one "gateway". However, if your computer has Internet connection sharing enabled, or if you are able to enable your computer's wifi as an AP, it may be possible for Fing to "see" it, as a gateway.

Any "0.255" address shouldn't be seen as a gateway. It is used by the router, but it is a "broadcast" address, for sending messages to all IP addresses within that network. Although it is a valid IP address, it is not usually available to be assigned to a device, except for your router.

Are you running any VMs, by chance?

• Barrydotnet
    Barrydotnet Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    It is possible that a Wifi device is answering and connects on 2ghz as well as 5ghz Local wifi, often showing up as 2 different MAC addresses in Fing, but same physical device