Where does Fing find the name of "Your Home Network"?

On the upper right of the Fing Desktop app's Home Page is the name of "Your Home Network"  Anyone know where that name is found?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Pironha said:
    On the upper right of the Fing Desktop app's Home Page is the name of "Your Home Network"  Anyone know where that name is found?
    Click on Scan for device or See all devices and then go to Network tab and then under Network, click on EDIT and you will be able to change the name of the network
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pironha, I believe it takes the context you chose for your network when you configured the desktop.  In my case I chose home and that's what its using.  You can edit it if you click on network/Edit and change the name....

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Pironha
    Pironha Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin and Marc,

Thanks for the replies.  Perhaps I should have given more information.  Fing is showing a network name that is not the name of my network.  It looks like some old network name I had some time ago.  And I am aware that I can change the network name posted in Fing but I assume that only changes what Fing calls it and does not go into Windows 10 network settings and actually change the network name.

So my question is, where in the Windows 10 network settings or in the wifi router configuration is Fing getting the name it's posted on the home page.
    Thanks.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Pironha
    the name you assign on the Fingbox stays when you have not changed the default value which is network name SSID by default. You can check under router settings what is the SSID name. If you have Fingbox then Fingbox will retain the old SSID/network name on which it is activated on.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Pironha
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    First, I don't have a Fingbox so that's not a factor.  Specifically what I'm looking for is where does Fing Desktop get the "Your Home Network" name?  I've included a screen shot with the name highlighted in yellow (I've hidden the actual name).
    The problem is that the name displays is not a name on any of my current networks.  It does not appears in any of my router settings. Nor can I find it in any of my Windows 10 network settings.

So, where did Fing Desktop get the text it says is my "Your Home Network"?
    Thanks again.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Pironha
    In order to address this, please delete the network identified by Fing desktop from either the Fing app or Fing desktop and then run a new scan from the Fing desktop and then check if it shows the same network name or not. Once this is confirmed then I will be able to explain this in a better way.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Pironha
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    Ok, deleted network.  Rescanned (automaticaly) and picked up a new name based on my internet provider?  Still no network name i set.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Pironha said:
    Hi Robin,
    Ok, deleted network.  Rescanned (automaticaly) and picked up a new name based on my internet provider?  Still no network name i set.
    Is it still picking up the old SSID? you mentioned it is picking up the name based on my Internet provider. Are you using Fingbox as well? Can you share the screenshot of your SSID from router settings and what is detected by Fing app?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Pironha
    First Comment Photogenic
    I don't have a fingbox.  It's not picking an old SSID.  Then name it's now picked is not on any SSID in my network.  Here's the thing, in the list of devices, the network listed is my main linksys wifi router and the name in the list of devices is the name I have for my network on that router.  However, on the home page, the name chosen by Fing for "Your Home Network" (the yellow area in the screen capture above) is a made-up name from who knows (I hope you know) where.

Why can't you explain where Fing Desktop gets the text it puts on the home page under "Your Home Network"?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Pironha said:

Why can't you explain where Fing Desktop gets the text it puts on the home page under "Your Home Network"?
    As stated previously, the name is taken by default from the SSID if you have not assigned by new name. In your case, we might to investigate as none of the other users are facing this issue. Can you please send me the screenshot of the router page where it displays the SSID name and Fing desktop page without hiding the name of the network. You can DM it to me these details.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Pironha
    First Comment Photogenic
    I sent the screenshots in a message to you.  thanks. 
  • Pironha
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited April 7, 2021 #13
    Robin,

Did you get the screenshots I sent?

Never mind, I see your message now.