What is your preferred Anti Virus Product?

MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,127
100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Devices & Security
Looking to see what everyones favorite is.  Feel free to comment below on the antivirus of your choice or to add one PCWEEK missed...  List compiled mostly from PCWeek top Antivirus list (I can only save 10 choices).  
Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

What is your preferred Anti Virus Product? 36 votes

I use the one that came with my OS
27%
GidsterHronosMarcecrossMDavideMirekmalYesiSchR911ltrullen 10 votes
Norton
13%
atomicboyManny_CavalierScottinATLScottLSookielove 5 votes
Kaspersky
11%
MarkCKING_CRACKER7861Seagravebrianzion99 4 votes
McAfee
5%
evokRidersEdge 2 votes
Trend Micro
5%
ArtJkltaylor 2 votes
Avast
5%
RickT49Systops5 2 votes
Bitdefender
27%
RomuluskeithmagptElWJacekCommProfFinsterGAETAN333gdreelincryptoknight 10 votes
AVG
2%
RWild 1 vote
Webroot
0%
F-Secure
0%
VioletChepilManny_CavalierHronosKING_CRACKER78RobinCiaran

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Promoting this and would be great to get some more votes too. @Pooh @kltaylor @Hronos @MDavide @Mirekmal @nexusnet @RickT49 @Manny_Cavalier @attzonko

Community Manager at Fing

Marc
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalwareBytes - not on the list :)
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    MarcRichCreedyiSch
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    nth, using Linux, Mac and iOS without classical virus scanner
    Marc
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,127
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I run macOS without as well. I used Clamav at one point but ended deleting it as my Mac took a performance hit. What is everyone’s thoughts on antivirus and macOS?
    VioletChepilMDavide
  • keithkeith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Bitdefender
    36 brands/versions tested by Choice Australia, Bit Defender versions came in 2nd and 7th.
    Eset and bitdefender(s) score 100% on detection, surprised, a previous favourite of mine, the popular malwarebytes just 82% (I changed to bitdefender a few years ago, no issues so far)
    Of course the selection of test samples may affect results, though I believe Choice use tech resources from many affiliate Choice organisations around the world. (I hope they don't cancel me for this.)
    Marc
  • RickT49RickT49 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Avast
    I trust Malwarebytes more than anything else. I run Avast and occasionally the built in antivirus program thinking no one program catches everything.
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Norton
    I run Norton and I have a Firewall Appliance running Untangle. Also I use Nordvpn and my system has VPN Tunnels as part of my bonded WAN system.
    Marc
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a personal opinion, the best AVS solution es "common sense & information", bad I know the bast majority of people came short on one of those two things...
    AVS solution penalize to much the performance of a computer, but if in need, you can't argued with it.
    Norton WAS a good one, ages ago... now, not so much, is really annoying.
    In my work, they use McAfee's Security Suit, not bad, but if not tuned, it crunch your CPU like I do with popcorn at movies (they doesn't last till the real movie xD).
    Keep looking up!
    Marc
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trend Micro
    Pooh said:
    MalwareBytes - not on the list :)
    Neither Sophos Home.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trend Micro
    Marc said:
    I run macOS without as well. I used Clamav at one point but ended deleting it as my Mac took a performance hit. What is everyone’s thoughts on antivirus and macOS?
    Its machine code that can take a hit if there was a target for it.  I'd say at the very least obtain and use Malwarebytes on your Mac, as I've seen pages pop up that made the user think that their system was infected.  Just err on the side of caution.
    MarcRichCreedyVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot.

kltaylorVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trend Micro

"They're all Good Dog's, Brant"
    MarcPoohVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:

I had to Google the phrase..  Meme's everywhere!
    VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marc I played with BitDefender for a year with my Mac. Loved the Windows version, not so much the Mac one. Switched to MalwareBytes and not looked back since. Two years now, not one issue.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    MarcVioletChepilkltaylor
  • brianzion99brianzion99 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Kaspersky

Kaspersky is my favorite my second is Sophos

MarcVioletChepilkltaylor
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭

I have a MAC at home, so no antivirus. 😬

I use ClamAV on demand when /if I doubt about repetitive unusual system errors. It happened a couple of times in about ten years but no viruses, the root cause was different.

Davide
    MarcVioletChepilkltaylor
  • StevePSteveP Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Malwarebytes at home and ESET at work.
    MarcVioletChepilkltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trend Micro
    Marc said:
    kltaylor said:

I had to Google the phrase..  Meme's everywhere!
    Ahhh yes.  You have had a brief insight into my life outside of work. =)
    MarcVioletChepil
  • rDinrDin Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    No anti-virus should be an option.  Never use one and never caught any viruses (sometimes the urge to do a scan overcomes me, just to check!)  
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 88
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    i use Comodo, Malwarebytes and Spybot. I don't see any of them above.
    Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    rDin said:
    No anti-virus should be an option.  Never use one and never caught any viruses (sometimes the urge to do a scan overcomes me, just to check!)  
    Hi @rDin, choose the first one.  if your OS didn't come with one (that's probably everything but Windows) and you don't install another one, that should cover it.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i use Comodo, Malwarebytes and Spybot. I don't see any of them above.
    There is a 10 limit for a survey, I picked PC Weeks top ones.  Watching everyones replies, Malwarebytes would definitely make the list if I could edit the selections.  I used to use spybot years ago, good to see its still around.
    kltaylor
  • ArtJArtJ Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Trend Micro

A/V is not the only issue. Remember, we need to protect IOT devices too. I prefer going to a single source. I was using Norton on my Mac, Windows, iOS and Android as well as Norton core router protecting my home network including IOT devices. ButNorton abandoned that product line. Norton core also had an issue with about a 15-20% hit on traffic speeds. I have just switched to an ASUS router product for whole home network protect with their AIProtect feature and Trend Micro A/V for all my other devices. Having single source helps prevent compatibility issues, gives consistent look and feel across platforms and simplifies renewal/administration issues. Since switching I am happy with the TrendMicro products.

kltaylorMarcGidster
  • ElWElW Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Bitdefender
    I use BitDefender on Windows, and Sophos on my Macbook, and Malwarebytes Bytes for monthly scans.
    Marckltaylor
  • Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Avast
    While i voted for Avast, it is very important to note that while many of us have come to distrust Microsoft's Security over the years, and have become accustomed to purchasing a 3rd Party Anti-Virus Solution, Microsoft Defender which comes for free with Windows, was recently tested against a number of well known Anti-Virus Solutions, both paid and free, and there was no difference, or any added Anti-Virus detection and threat handling in the Paid Solutions.  Sure Microsoft doesn't always leave us feeling all fuzzy, however, their Anti- Virus and Threat Protection is updated just as frequently and timely as the Paid solutions. So while I am guilty of purchasing Avast, after having read the report, and really looked at what was most important to me, which would be my security and vulnerability, Windows Defender actually provides one very big plus, and that is System Performance. I have found that Avast uses a lot of resources, especially if it has to scan something, but just sitting there, actively protecting me it is eating up more memory and cpu cycles vs the came protection of Windows Defender which protects me for all the same things, has a smaller memory foot print, and does not eat up cpu cycles doing stuff that I don't need it to do. 

Most of us tend to by these products mostly on the false thought that Paid Solutions MUST be better, and offer more features, such as Firewall,  Malware Protection, Email Scanning, etc... Windows Defender does all of that as well! 

Right now, I have to question why I am paying for Avast, I guess for me, Avast has always been my security blanket however, that is sim,ply all it is. There is no real benefit to a paid solution. 

MarcHronosGidster
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Systops5 said:
    Microsoft Defender which comes for free with Windows, was recently tested against a number of well known Anti-Virus Solutions, both paid and free, and there was no difference, or any added Anti-Virus detection and threat handling in the Paid Solutions.  
    I have suspected this to be the case - Microsoft certainly has the capability to build a great AV solution - but can you please reference the tests you mention
    Head of Product at Fing
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 88
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidster
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-jul-aug-2019-factsheet/
    lengthy comparison with metodologies

Windows defender is very good, but has 2 main problems.
    1) too many false positives
    2) it is the base defense system of windows. Therefore everybody and their cousin will try and best that one defense against their "infiltration methods"

on the other hand:
    1) one of the best protections (protects against PIRBCAK problems rather welllllll... but also see the large number of false positives)
    2) by itself it's very very hard to compromise a system protected by defender alone (but also means little to no control left to the user unless one has advanced system knowledge)

Which leads back to (essentially) main problem #2 everybody and their cousin are going to test their malicious software so that users will do what asked.
    Which means social engineering.
    Which means to protect from social engineering even more control will be eventually removed from the end user.

Basically my main reason not to recommend windows defender to people it that it's like invasive training wheels that really do not wish to let you do what you want but want to keep you safe.

Recommended readings: The Humanoids by Jack Williamson; The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster; in this order 😂👍💖
    GidsterVioletChepilkltaylorMarckeith
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trend Micro
    @Gidster
    https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-jul-aug-2019-factsheet/
    lengthy comparison with metodologies

Windows defender is very good, but has 2 main problems.
    1) too many false positives
    2) it is the base defense system of windows. Therefore everybody and their cousin will try and best that one defense against their "infiltration methods"

on the other hand:
    1) one of the best protections (protects against PIRBCAK problems rather welllllll... but also see the large number of false positives)
    2) by itself it's very very hard to compromise a system protected by defender alone (but also means little to no control left to the user unless one has advanced system knowledge)

Which leads back to (essentially) main problem #2 everybody and their cousin are going to test their malicious software so that users will do what asked.
    Which means social engineering.
    Which means to protect from social engineering even more control will be eventually removed from the end user.

Basically my main reason not to recommend windows defender to people it that it's like invasive training wheels that really do not wish to let you do what you want but want to keep you safe.

Recommended readings: The Humanoids by Jack Williamson; The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster; in this order 😂👍💖
    I was going to say the same thing, so glad you and I reference the same place when we need to reference AVS for both desktop and mobile.
    VioletChepilSimoneSpinozzi
  • RWildRWild Member Posts: 52
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    AVG
    Geez!  I can’t be the only AVG user here!?  I use AVG Ultimate on all my Windows computers not too old to run it.  Most of the older computers or Linux beasties don’t get used much for browsing and only for emails between my own machines when that is convenient.  All but one of my Macs have died but I worry about the survivor.
    MarcVioletChepil
  • keithkeith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Bitdefender
    Gidster said:
    Systops5 said:
    Microsoft Defender which comes for free with Windows, was recently tested against a number of well known Anti-Virus Solutions, both paid and free, and there was no difference, or any added Anti-Virus detection and threat handling in the Paid Solutions.  
    I have suspected this to be the case - Microsoft certainly has the capability to build a great AV solution - but can you please reference the tests you mention
    I used, personally and for clients, ms defender for years without issues. Hated the restrictive approach. Then malware bites, Now bitdefender.
    Choice au testing puts ms defender well below eset 100%, bitdefender 100%, avast, nortons, avg and more on 20 odd types of threat, BUT, so far I can not get a list of the threats used. I will ask them directly this week and post it if possible.
    Another test site that "might" be worth checking. (No threat list!)
    https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/august-2019/
    MarcVioletChepil