iOS alerts have stopped working after getting a new iPhone

roens
roens SF Bay AreaMember Posts: 9
First Comment
Not much to it. I got a new iPhone, restored backup to the new phone, and now the Fing iOS app no longer presents alerts for things (like new device connected to network, or state change for a device with Alert me when state changes is enabled. If I turn the old iPhone back on (keeping it shut down for now), any such alerts do still occur there.
Backer of the Fingbox crowdfund campaign on Indiegogo…
Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @roens
    Are you signed in with correct Fing account? Also did you enable Fing app to read real email address rather than relay email address which is provided by Apple? Have you checked under Fing app settings if notifications are enabled or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • roens
    First Comment
    edited March 23, 2021 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The iOS app appears to be logged in with my real email address, not via Apple SSO. I've checked many times on the notification settings, assuming there surely must be something amiss there. However, the only notification settings that seem to be there are email-based, not iOS app push based. As far as "the correct account", to my knowledge I have only one Fing account I've ever used.

Notification settings
    • Subscribe to newsletter: enabled
    • Send mail alert as: Summary with multiple events (Plain)
    • Send alerts to: (my real email address)
    • Send notifications as: A message for each event
    And, to clarify, the new phone setup is the result of restoration of iOS backup made from the old phone. I did not have to do any re-set-up of the Fing app on the new phone. Other apps that notify on events do continue to do so on the new phone.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the detail @roens
    Are you still facing the issue? As I can see from your account, everything seems to be working correctly.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • roens
    First Comment
    Indeed, this is still an unresolved issue.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    roens said:
    Indeed, this is still an unresolved issue.
    Can you try to disable wifi for any of your known devices and then remove the device from Fing app and then reboot the device and connect to wifi again? After this run the scan on Fing app and see if you are notified for the device or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • roens
    First Comment
    🤔  I've got over 20 devices connected to my network via WiFi. Are you asking me to disable WiFi on all of these? And how would that have any effect on this issue of the Fing iOS app generating notifications for notify events observed by my Fingbox?

As the old adage goes, I've just power cycled my Fingbox. Maybe that's all it'll take? I've also removed & reinstalled the iOS Fing app. I'll report back on whether notifications are generated, or merely displayed after the fact in the Notifications list for my Fingbox, in the Fing iOS app.
  • roens
    First Comment
    Welp, now the Fingbox has alerted me by email that "Fingbox Agent is OFFLINE". And the iOS app indicates that the Fingbox is "Disconnected". While I don't know about the agent (or where that even is supposed to be), the hardware device most certainly is powered and indicating a pulsing orange light. (Really wish the app would translate these color signals, and that some other reference weren't required to discern their obscure meanings.)

And then there's the fact that the app shows many iterations of the same networks, as if they're separate networks. I wish there were a way to merge these together, but it appears all that can be done is to delete them.
  • roens
    First Comment
    Aaaalright… Just now, the app produced an alert! I wonder if this rediscovered ability will persist?

I don't much care for unexplained failure/remedy. I suppose I'll just resurrect this thread if it gets lost again. But really, this communication between the hardware and app should not need to be so mysterious and interfaceless.
  • roens
    First Comment
    For whatever it's worth… since shortly after about a day of alerts (above) my Fingbox persistently thinks it's offline (pulsing orange lights). I've power cycled it, as well as made sure its ethernet cable is plugged in (does show link at the switch end of the cable).