How to disable online/offline notifications for Fingbox?

pjHunter
pjHunter Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
Recently, in the last month, I've been getting scores of email notifications that my fingbox is offline, then seconds later is says it's back online.  It is literally flooding my inbox.  If my network is down, there are numerous ways I can tell that, I don't need all this mailbox clutter.
douwevt

Answers

• MaggieL
    MaggieL Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm powering mine down too, until we're told that it's been fixed.
    Right now all it does is consume power and present an attack surface without delivering any benefits. 
    Developer of management software for proprietary industrial mesh networking equipment
  • PDX_Tom
    PDX_Tom Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Same here. My email is flooded with offline / online notices. As best I can tell, there is nothing happening on my network to cause this.
    A response from a Fing person about this issue would be appreciated...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    PDX_Tom said:
    Same here. My email is flooded with offline / online notices. As best I can tell, there is nothing happening on my network to cause this.
    A response from a Fing person about this issue would be appreciated...
    You can check this post where our developers have talked about the server outage issues we are facing in detail: https://community.fing.com/discussion/6370/outage-server-issue-ongoing-dev-team-investigating#latest
    I hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • pjHunter
    pjHunter Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I checked out the link, and it seems like this is a problem for some subset of Fing users.  My fingbox has the most recent firmware, so that didn't fix it.  My solution was to go to my mail server and create a rule that any sender with "Fing Alert" in the sender line gets moved to the trash, before it gets delivered to any of my devices.  Solved the clutter problem.
  • BK303
    BK303 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭

@pjHunter

It seems that users can disable all email notifications (at top level under Account > Notification Settings) , but currently no mechanism to disable emails for just Fingbox online/offline. In the mobile app, can disable all local notifications for the app using Andriod settings, or in the App can disable specific device local notifications or all new device notifications, but nothing seems to disable just Fingbox offline/online local notifications.

I've got email notifications turned off completely, and now with the recent spurious Fingbox offline/online issue, app notifications are disabled too. Next step will be to unplug the Fingbox and remove from my account.

Good luck.

• PDX_Tom
    PDX_Tom Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks for the tip about disabling all email notifications!  I used the previously mentioned workaround of having my email forward the alerts to my trash mailbox. I will wait a few more weeks before removing the fingbox completely, but I share your frustration.
  • Cbax
    Cbax Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    How do you change the  offline notification  (push notification)   I am using starlink satellite internet so  brief outages happen.  Is there a way to set it so it will wait   15 minutes before it sends notification that internet is offline?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Cbax said:
    How do you change the  offline notification  (push notification)   I am using starlink satellite internet so  brief outages happen.  Is there a way to set it so it will wait   15 minutes before it sends notification that internet is offline?
    Unfortunately, there is no featre for Fing app to wait for certain time before sending outage alerts. You can disable the alerts as a whole if you want.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • stanelie
    stanelie Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Hello.

It is now July and I am still having this issue.

Any ETA on a fix? Those notifications are annoying, but I need the other useful notifications, so, turning them all off is not an option.

Thanks

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @stanelie
    Can you DM me the MAC address of the Fingbox so I can check? We have already resolved our previous server outage issue. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)