Fing keeps triggering false alerts of a new or rogue access point - Eero beacon

Tahoe_Roland
Tahoe_Roland Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
edited September 12, 2019 in Fingbox #1
I installed an Eero mesh router system on my network. It consists of a router and two beacons. For those who are unfamiliar, the beacons use the same SSID as the router. It is working much better than my previous setup (Apple AirPort Extreme and DLink range extenders). However, I frequently receive push notifications from my FingBox stating that a new or rogue access point has joined my network. It appears that when one of my beacons wakes-up or polls the router, the FingBox confuses this with a new device joining the network. (Although the beacons share the same SSID as the router, they each have unique MAC addresses.)

Does anyone know how to train the FingBox to recognize the beacons so they won’t trigger false alerts?

Answers

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if this is unique to the beacons, I have three Eero Pro's and don't get anything like this...

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:

Wonder if this is unique to the beacons, I have three Eero Pro's and don't get anything like this...

Absolutely could be, that does seem quite odd indeed.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tahoe_Roland have you ensured that they are in the lost of known devices using the Fing app? I've also marked them as important on mine:

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Tahoe_Roland

Please check this article and follow the steps: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/krack-attack-detection-feature/ 

We have come to realize that if you have multiple access points and if some devices are connected with both then you might find these type of alerts as Fingbox is trying to monitor the network for changes and if any of the devices is trying to connect to any of the access points and if it is not being able to recognize the device then it gives alerts. Even if the new device get connected to a different access point and Fingbox is connected to another access point, then Fingbox will detect it as some other access point is redirecting the traffic and thus giving you with an alert.  

I would like you to follow these steps: 

1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 

2) Wait for a minute or two. 

3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 

4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 

5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 

6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 

7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good help @robin!  Very much appreciated.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tahoe_Roland just turned this one into a question thread. Please choose a BEST ANSWER if this has solved things for you! 

Community Manager at Fing

• Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 #8
    So, here's an interesting thing. I've had my Eeros longer than my Fingbox v1. Fingbox v1 has been with me easily over a year. Never seen anything like this in all that time.

Late last night, blammo, I get notified about two of my Eeros being changed - despite the fact that neither their IP nor MAC address changed.

Difference is, now I have a Fingbox v2...

@Robin - how come I've never seen this before in the last 12 months plus, but last night I did?

@Tahoe_Roland out of interest, do you have a v1 (square sides, cup outside, ring LED lights) or a v2 (tapered side, single center LED dome light) Fingbox?
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil mind moving this over to the Fingbox category?
    VioletChepil
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Pooh
    I am not sure why did it not notify you. It can be because of the network set up or because with new V2 box, it monitors full spectrum of network which may produce some unexpected alerts as it is trying to cover full network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!