Am I right in thinking that my Fingbox no longer records network events the way it has since 2017?

MaggieL
MaggieL Member Posts: 51
10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited March 16, 2021 in Fingbox #1

Am I right in thinking that my Fingbox no longer records network events the way it has since 2017 unless I now buy a premium service with a monthly charge?

And you didn't notify me of this?

Developer of management software for proprietary industrial mesh networking equipment

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,742
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited March 18, 2021 #2
    Hi @MaggieL
    With Fingbox, the timeline reporting is set to 3 months and for more than 3 months, you will need a Fing premium. 
    We want to leverage Timeline Reporting content to the full extent rather than cold-storing it (or worse, having to delete the content), as it provide tremendous value to understand and optimize the network. We’ve not been able so far to provide analysis about the presence, the power consumption, the access to comparison in the App spanning longer periods. These evolutions require more resources to ensure the same level of quality is preserved to all Fingboxes.

Limiting the timeline is a resource-conscious activity that we might tune but definitely needs to take place. Considering this, along with your feedback, we have expanded the Timeline Reporting period to 3 months.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 #3
    So, is that a "yes"?

When you say "reporting is set to three months", does that mean if your Fingbox is older than three months you stop recording?
    Yesterday I hopped on to find out why my Fingbox was in a crash loop, and the app seems to think all my devices are new and I haven't found a single device that has any recorded events. 

That cloud of marketdroid fog basically sounds to me like somebody suddenly realized that S3 buckets cost money and you have no archiving strategy, so you truncated them without telling your users.

Reminds me of the time you started sticking advertising in the mobile client and suggested we should pay you to remove them.  

Developer of management software for proprietary industrial mesh networking equipment
    Rog7
  • BK303
    BK303 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭

@MaggieL

As part of the ongoing Fingbox cloud services monitoring outages (see top forum posts), I find that another side effect is that when my Fing App can't use the cloud services to contact my Fingbox, the "Internet" speed testing graphics and the "history" button to show log within the App often disappears. Not sure if this is what you ment by "not recording network events the way it has...". When the app does have working connection to Fingbox, then i see several months history log. Of course the network up/down monitoring is fully broken for many users at the moment, and I find that the many spurious false network Up/Down notifications are not being recorded in my network history log. I suspect all of the above will be fixed if and when the cloud services issue is resolved. Good Luck.

• MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    What I meant was every device I hit the "Events" button on claimed it had no events recorded. 
    Since I complained,  now it magically shows some and intimates that it's holding the rest prisoner unless I fork over more money. 
    This is BS.
    Guys, you can't just retroactively remove functionality and offer to unlock it for more money. 
    You're asking for an FTC complaint here. Seriously, this is your answer? 

ShooterRog7
  • MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    Is this highlighted claim no longer true? 

• MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    Shooter
  • MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    Shooter
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @MaggieL, as referenced in the post you highlighted, no functionality has been removed from the Fingbox. Are you still not seeing events? If so, we can set up a support ticket for you to investigate more thoroughly for you. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 #10
    As of today (was empty when I originally posted....what changed?) some events are showing up, along with a nag demanding money to see the rest of them. That's a loss of functionality. See screenshot.
  • MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to see a company where I used to be a customer turn me into a product that crowdsources the data for identifying devices from their network footprint. That's why Lansweeper bought Fing... who now doesn't care about the Fingbox early adopters unless they're an ongoing revenue stream...one way or another.
    Is that why all my devices got marked "unknown"? To drive me to create data for Fingpedia?  
    Rog7
  • MaggieL
    ✭✭✭
    I'm powering my Fingbox down until we're told that these outages have been fixed.
    For two nights running I've been awakened before dawn by an alert that cannot be suppressed and does not follow the alerting rules. 
    Right now all Fingbox does is consume power and present an attack surface without delivering any benefits.