Ring Cams unable to connect?

Divotz2
Divotz2 Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
edited March 10 in Devices & Security
sorry ,i have done everything in my power and pea brain to get these connected per instructions and they won't connect. I  get the" Stickup cam has not been able to connect" at the end of the setup. Yet my WyZE cam connects no problem or wiz, light bulb, Alexa,.
I have done what the ring site has suggested. I can't get to a real person ,really busy I guess.
any thoughts would be great... throw them at me..did all the reboot, restart stuff so lets move on from there please...:)
Thank you all sincerely,retired disabled master tech,fancy for mechanic...

Best Answer

• Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Humin32 said:

You need to use the Ring always home application to set them up. You need to create a Ring account but you don’t need to pay any $. You open the Ring application, sign into your account or create one if you don’t have one. Tap on the three horizontal menu bar icon, upper left corner. Tap on devices, then set up device. Select security cams and follow the directions. You only need to pay if you want to view historical videos. If you don’t pay you can only view things in real time.

THIS ^
    And if you just bought a RING doorbell w/o 5GHz band, return it and buy the latest issue which does support the 5GHz band. You wil have less problems connecting and your videos (and response time) will be much better.
    Also: In your router, assign a FIXED IP-address to the MAC of the RING device. This will make your RING more stable. Do the same for the CHIME, if you have one.
    I also had stability problems, until I did this.
    Divotz2

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,577
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to activate it, close to or next to your wireless access point or router?  Some devices I have had issues with I was able to activate when next to to one of my access points, then moved it to its final resting spot.  Of course assuming the final resting spot has adequate signal strength.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Divotz2
  • Silentman
    Silentman Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I have had a Ring HD Doorbell for a few years now and remember it was a pain to get it to initially connect.  I had to disable my 5 GHz network so it would cleanly see the 2.4 GHz band.  I have been trying to get a Ring Floodlight cam to connect for months now.  I spent 90 minutes on a support call which eventually was transferred to their engineering group and tried lots of inventive ways to try to get it connect, but none succeeded.  Ring did send out a replacement unit, but it has the same problem.  I even installed a new access point within 10 feet of the Ring Floodlight Cam.  My suspicion is the wifi module they use has issues with the 5 GHz band blinding it from cleanly connecting to the 2.4 GHz network.  Of course, they only support connections through the 2.4 GHz band.  I'm going to try disabling the 5 GHz band on the new access point and see if the initial connection process works then.
  • Humin32
    Humin32 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Have you tried holding down the setup button until the device resets? On the doorbells hold setup button down until the light goes off, then let go. You also need to be sure you have quality Wi-Fi signal where the camera is located. When you’re doing the setup in the Ring app at some point it lists all the WiFi networks it sees, if the one you’re trying to connect to is “amber” color (vs green) than your signal probably to weak. I’m familiar with the doorbells, I assume the other cameras work the same.

• Divotz2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Don't have ring door bell cam just 2 stickup battery powered cams,that will not connect,but my WYZE cam did in seconds?

• Divotz2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Marc said:
    Have you tried to activate it, close to or next to your wireless access point or router?  Some devices I have had issues with I was able to activate when next to to one of my access points, then moved it to its final resting spot.  Of course assuming the final resting spot has adequate signal strength.
    I am trying in front of the Nighthawk AX40 router here in my office. Our wyze cam sits in the window looking out at the driveway took 2 minutes to connect to our wifif,it cost us $20....i don't believe both are bad,something is blocking them..
  • Divotz2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Weren't these IOT(internet of things), supposed to be plug and play.....

Serious question,do have to have an active Ring account for these to work?
    I have an account just haven't paid for any plan because I can't get them to connect...oh this is 9 months now since my wife purchased these on the home shopping network ...  ;(
    Yep been trying for 9 months now .off and on gone through 2 different routers 2 modems, added 1 extender.
    Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Cable modem,Nighthawk AX40 WIFI 6 AX300 gigabit wireless router,Nighthawk  EX 7500 extender also .
    I am going to try and do a chat,I hate going through all the basic crap with their c support staff before they let me talk to the actual tech support people ,but at this point it has to be something really simple I have overlooked. I was a master tech.mechanic for 25 plus years who specialized in troubleshooting. as I got older I started checking the "simple" stuff first instead of last. 
    I hope I haven't fallen into that trap again.
    thanks for your suggestions and help folks,really has helped my pea brain calm down...:)

• Humin32
    Humin32 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

You need to use the Ring always home application to set them up. You need to create a Ring account but you don’t need to pay any $. You open the Ring application, sign into your account or create one if you don’t have one. Tap on the three horizontal menu bar icon, upper left corner. Tap on devices, then set up device. Select security cams and follow the directions. You only need to pay if you want to view historical videos. If you don’t pay you can only view things in real time.

MarcPopula