Camera tool question

missy
missy Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment
Does fing desktop include pc, tablet, Alexa, phone, and smartwatch cameras in the active camera count, please? The camera tool shows 11 active cameras and I don't have that many, so I'm confused.
Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,721
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @missy, the camera count is just stand alone cameras, not devices with embedded cameras like a phone and Alexa assistants.  Can you screenshot what you are seeing?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    missy
  • missy
    Darn it! Then it might see the security cameras (3) , although they do not show up in the list of devices but I think I know why. Would the tool report cameras on other networks, i.e. neighbors? And, thank you, @Marc !
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of the desktop being able to do this, even with premium.  A Fingbox with the mobile app has something called a digital fence which can see WiFi devices in your vicinity not on your network.  Issue with the digital fence is with Mac address virtualization, its harder to identify devices (What a device is) solely based on a devices Mac address.  Also would require a bit of legwork on your part to lookup devices once they are discovered.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @Marc
    on newer version of Fing desktop, there is a feature under Tools for finding hidden cameras. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    missy
  • missy
    In the screenshot, Fing is telling me there are "11 known active cameras found" on my network. Fing has cameras are defined as stand alone devices and not embedded ones. Correct?
    Does "known" indicate known to the network or known to Fing to be cameras because I don't see these cameras in the device list. 
    I understand device mac addresses and digital fences but am not using one. I have no problem with doing legwork, in fact, I enjoy  mysteries/puzzles, just trying to determine the known parameters I'm working with to identify something I can't see.
    Thank you, sir, for all your help!
  • missy
    @Robin I'm running desktop 2.5.1 which I think is the latest version. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @missy
    I am investigating this and can you please DM me the device list which you can export from by clicking on "See all devices" and then go to network tab and then export the device list and then DM it to me for investigation. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    missy
  • missy
    Yes, sir.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2021 #10

@Robin , I’ve used the feature. It has never recognized anything on my network or around me as a camera unless it was strictly a single purpose camera (versus an iPhone or laptop with a camera built in) which is one of the questions @missy asked. That would be a neat trick if it could do that.

I’m looking forward to the developers response. ;-)

Robin_from_Fing
  • Shez82
    Shez82 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    It doesn't seem to work very well for me either, I have 5 standalone cameras in the house.
    Fing picks up 3 of them, both Ring Stick up cameras and a Ring Indoor camera are picked up. It doesn't pick up the Ring doorbell camera as a camera, nor does it pick up the dodgy chinese camera I've set up in my 3d printer to monitor prints with. It's the dodgy chinese cam that is most concerning that it doesn't pick up.
    Any devices that are multi-function and contain a camera are not picked up, specifically the Google Nest hub display, 3 laptops, a smartphone and a tablet are not identified as containing cameras.
  • missy
    The 3 security cameras are Ring and on the Chime network. I do have a usb camera connected to my pc for Zoom/Teams meetings but it doesn't show up as a separate device since it's connected to my pc.  Thanks @Shez82!
  • Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Robin said:
    Hi @missy
    I am investigating this and can you please DM me the device list which you can export from by clicking on "See all devices" and then go to network tab and then export the device list and then DM it to me for investigation. Thanks
    Of course without publishing that list and/or any other sensitive information about Missy's system, could you please publish your findings? I reckon we are all interested in any peculiarities of the "hidden cam scan" feature.
    Thanks.
    missy
  • missy

@Popula I’m still waiting to hear from the developers with their response, or questions if they have more.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @missy
    Our developers found some incorrect translations keys in our code and we have corrected those. It will be released with new version of Fing desktop. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. With new version, this should be resolved. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    missy