Windows Desktop 2.5.1 - Not install

seh2000
seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 111
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer
✭✭✭
Just received the email about the manual  update to 2.5.1 
Downloaded the file twice, but nd result the same 2.5.1 not being installed.
Its like the install dies in the middle...
File size = 76,920 KB

Steen
Jaward

Comments

• TheDude
    TheDude Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Same here - running version shows as v2.4.1
  • jotthaah
    jotthaah DEMember Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Same here - installer terminates in the middle of the process. Task manager shows afterwards just the Fing.Agent service running. Running the Fing desktop it shows still V2.4.1
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,012
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi all,
    Are you using Fing desktop on Windows or MAC?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • TheDude
    It's the Windows download
  • jotthaah
    Fing desktop on Win 10 Home V 20H2
  • Gary3115
    Gary3115 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    same result. 2.5.1 install fails. Windows 10 Pro 1909
  • seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin
    I reported the Windows version
    MAC version installed automatic no need for manual install
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks all.

I would like you to follow these steps and the issue should be resolved.  

-> Uninstall WinpCap(if present on your machine) using Revo(if possible)  

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled  
    - Uninstall Npcap  

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking  

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it.  

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • RJR
    RJR Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Same issue here with Windows download. Running Fing version 2.41 currently and close the program down before installing.
  • jotthaah
    @Robin
    Uninstalled Npcap (others not present) as suggested.
    Reboot. Downloaded 2.5.1. Still, the installer stops in the middle. But now, fing 2.4.1 runs no more - "Fing Servive not found".
    Uninstalled V 2.4.1. Run the installer - since 10 min it hangs at abt. 85%.
    I give up. For a simple software update too much difficulties.
    Bye, Fing...

Brush
  • seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 #12
    @Robin
    No WinPcap
    Uninstalled Npcap
    Rebooted into safe mode with network
    Install appeared OK, but when trying to connect to Fing, it hangs with the message:
    Fing Service not found
    We're reconnecting to the Fing Service. If you keep seeing this page, try rebooting or reinstalling the latest version of Fing App to resolve the issue. If the problem persists, you can contact us at [email protected]
    However, after restart 2.5.1 is installed but the install is not good as the below shows...So your windows version is = no good while the MAC works fine as 2.5.1

Steen

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @seh2000
    I have sent you a private mail to address your query. I might require log files to address this and take it to developers for review. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    seh2000
  • Guterres
    Guterres Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 5, 2021 #14
    I had the same problem, I tried the solutions described here, but without success.
    I uninstalled Fing and installed version 2.5.1 without any problems.
  • Brush
    Brush Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    This is 2.5.1 issue is happening to too many people.  Please fix ASAP or revert back to 2.4.1 until you figure out what's happening.  
    BTW, I've gotten the same issue reported here on two Windows 10 64bit devices with several attempts on each.  I don't really want to try uninstalling first without more certainty that it will work

seh2000
  • kezo0
    kezo0 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Same here, installation doesn't work on Win10 Pro 20H2. Progress bar reaches to approx. 30% of install process, then the window closes and nothing else happens. Fing desktop version remains 2.4.1.
  • BillMac
    BillMac Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

Hi - just to reinforce an earlier comment.
    I could not install on W10pro but after uninstalling v2.4.1 I then installed v2.5.1 ok.
    I did not have to do any thing else. I find the recommendation to remove Npcap disturbing as this is a valid piece of software and if it causes Fing problems they should fix Fing not get people to remove other software.
    Interestingly after the fresh install of 2.5.1 all my existing devices were recognised even those that were not connected at the time which suggests the uninstall is not 100% effective. About a week ago I replaced my modem/router(same LAN IP) and Fing treated it like a totally new network and I had to spend time recognising all my devices.
    (as far as I know Winpcap does not and never has worked on W10 (Npcap is the replacement) and you should not have it on W10).
  • seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    Robin said:
    Hi @seh2000
    I have sent you a private mail to address your query. I might require log files to address this and take it to developers for review. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    @Robin
    Yes, I saw and did...
    Could I have a link to 2.5.0 as that version works, but I deleted the install file?

Steen
  • Raply
    Raply SpainMember Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hello, just as a complement to some previous comments.
    I was not able to install it either in the latest version of W10 Home, but as the previous version, at least in my case, it seemed to be a mix of versions 2.4.1 and 2.5.0 I did the uninstallation with version 2.2.2 Freeware Revo Uninstaller using the advanced cleaning option and eliminating all registry entries and all files and folders.
    With this, and without the need to restart the system, you can install version 2.5.1 without any problem, functioning correctly.
    I hope someone can be useful to someone.

seh2000Robin_from_Fing
  • seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    Raply said:
    I was not able to install it either in the latest version of W10 Home, but as the previous version, at least in my case, it seemed to be a mix of versions 2.4.1 and 2.5.0 I did the uninstallation with version 2.2.2 Freeware Revo Uninstaller using the advanced cleaning option and eliminating all registry entries and all files and folders.
    With this, and without the need to restart the system, you can install version 2.5.1 without any problem, functioning correctly.

Thanks for the tip!
    Installed Revo and removed all related to Fing...
    Reinstalled Fing 2.5.1, but no dice - still same...
    Steen

• seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    Update!
    As per below post and as per Raply's post, moved all traces of Fing on the harddrive using Revo, then install and a reboot, that made 2.5.1 apparent working - now if stable well we shall see...
    Steen
    @Robin

seh2000 said:
    Raply said:

Thanks for the tip!
    Installed Revo and removed all related to Fing...
    Reinstalled Fing 2.5.1, but no dice - still same...
    Steen

• Bas756
    Bas756 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited March 8, 2021 #22
    Fing Windows 2.5.1. will not install even after stopping or uninstalling the previous version 2.4.1.  I don't use freeware uninstallers. Please simplify the installation process. I don't understand this has to be so difficult. I will hold on to version 2.4.1. until this update process is simplified.  

EDIT March 8 12:54  After stopping Fing, uninstalling the app Fing 2.4.1., restarting W10 the version 2.5.1 is now installed correctly.
  • Amr
    Amr Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    I was able to install 2.5.1 only after totally removing 2.4 then and only then 2.5.1 installed correctly without exiting 
  • Amr
    Amr Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    I was able to install 2.5.1 only after totally removing 2.4 then and only then 2.5.1 installed correctly without exiting 
  • PeteF
    PeteF Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'm somewhat worried by an earlier Fing Administrator response, that we should uninstall Npcap:
    • Why wasn't this picked up in testing?
    • Why are you suggesting we uninstall a different program, rather than simply uninstalling our existing Fing and then installing 2.5?
    Doesn't fill me with confidence that the team know what they are doing
    seh2000
  • JasonSF
    JasonSF Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    ✭✭
    I also had to completely uninstall 2.4.1 in order to get 2.5.1 to install. (Uninstalled npcap before the uninstallation of 2.4.1.)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi All,
    Those who are still facing issue, please follow these steps and the issue should be resolved.  

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible)  

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled  
    - Uninstall Npcap  

Link: https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop-download-windows

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • TheDude
    Interesting......I didn't have WinpCap or Npcap, so I just downloaded the installer from your link & ran it from an elevated prompt. It upgraded my existing Fing w/out error this time and I'm running v2.5.1 now. Cool...
    Robin_from_Fingseh2000
  • RJR
    RJR Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    This is very interesting indeed. Here is what worked for me.
    I did not boot to safe mode with networking.
    I did not restart at all.
    I did not manipulate the Npcap driver.
    Procedure:
    1. Shut down Fing 2.4.1 from the systray.
    2. Stopped the Fing.Agent service using the sc command with CMD run as administrator.
    3. Simply from within Windows uninstalled Npcap.
    4. Simply from within Windows uninstalled Fing 2.4.1.
     5. Ran the install of Fing 2.5.1 as administrator.

I suspect the Fing install program does not contain the proper code instructions for a successful over the top install. Good thing you shut off auto update. I would suggest you continue to keep auto updates shut off. I am not a big fan of this anyway.
    seh2000GrahamM
  • seh2000
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin
    Just a note, 
    -> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible)  
    -> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  
    - Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled  
    - Uninstall Npcap  
    I did all the above, except for using Revo in step 1 as I didn't know what Revo was - it didn't work, further the CLI command didn't work too. 
    I then figured out :) what Revo was and used it to remove any trace of Fing, rebooted and run the fing installed 2.5.1 was installed...

Steen 
    Robin_from_Fing
  • medvyed
    medvyed Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    To the Administrator:  I would be FIRED if I allowed a software release to go out that required uninstalls using unknown software and/or that required that the user boot his/her machine into WINDOWS SAFE MODE and then the update MIGHT work.  Please just FIX Windows Desktop so that it installs correctly and stop WASTING OUR/YOUR TIME trying to brute force install the broken update.