Why is my home network on 17 channels, many with multiple instances?

CZPatterson
CZPatterson Member Posts: 6
First Comment
edited March 16, 2021 in Fing Desktop #1
Hi there. When I do a network scan, the Fing desktop app shows that my home wifi network is broadcasting on 17 different channels, several of which have up to five instances. I see the same thing when I look at my Mac's wireless diagnostics.

Would appreciate any insight into why. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @CZPatterson a screenshot of the problem may be helpful if you can post one. Also, are you using a mesh network (dual or tri-band) or  wifi extenders?, as depending on the configuration these may show up on your network and cause some confusion with multiple entries.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • CZPatterson
    CZPatterson Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Thanks for the reply; appreciate it! This is what I'm referring to -- my network is Woodford and it's currently on 23 channels, several of which have multiple instances. They show different levels of encryption (most personal but a couple enterprise) and about half are missing country codes. I do have three wifi extenders in the house. 

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @CZPatterson
    How many access points do you have in your network? Have you checked under router settings if the Fing desktop description matches or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!