On two separate occasions my iPhone open ports results indicated I had 1300 open ports. What???

stalked
stalked Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 201
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly doesn’t look right, check the ip address of your iphone in your network & use that as your target then run the find open ports facility again, I wouldn’t expect to see any ports open unless you are using an app that requires it.
  • stalked
    First Comment Photogenic

I typically have none or 80 and 443. My boyfriend has historically loaded different versions of tracking software on my phone and laptop. He recently suggested he had remote access to my devices. Could the open ports be related to a “spy” program extracting data from my phone?

• Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    Port 80 is, normally open for outgoing data traffic but closed to incoming traffic, Port 443 is similar but carries secure data.
    Tracking software, find my phone, find a friend & similar apps will need to communicate with each other but normally not leave ports open.
    Ports 1-1024 are service ports and generally used for application and more often legitimate purposes. You can run a test of your common  ports for incoming access with “sheilds-up” which can be found at www.grc.com this will confirm if ports are open, closed or stealth (the latter two are good).
    It is also worth running malware/anti-virus checks on your phone but initially speak to your boyfriend as there may be an issue with tracking software that he has loaded.
    Also, if you are doing these checks from Wi-fi on your home broadband network you should do the same checks on your wifi network.
  • stalked
    First Comment Photogenic

Thank you, if I capture it again I will check the WiFi network as well. I did pull up a few other devices to see if it was unique to my phone and it was.

• Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again, if you are synching devices you might expect to find 1 port open, otherwise there would not normally be an open port. I have double checked on two iPhones + an Android phone & confirmed this is correct. Something is not right if 1300 ports are open so either the reporting in fing is having a problem or, more likely from your description, you have a software/app problem.
  • Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Typically, on an iPhone, you should not have any ports open, unless there is an app running in the background that needs those ports. For instance, port 5 may be used by an active VOIP app (whatsapp call, for instance).
    What you could try, is:
    (1) Go to your Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh -> Background App Refresh -> OFF
    (2) Restart your iPhone
    (3) Do the port-scan again.
    Also: You mention that your partner has been installing 'tracking software' ... that's definitely a red flag. 
    If everything else fails, do a full reset of your iPhone and re-install your apps. Be careful: make sure you have account names and passwords ready (ie. for Whatsapp, Teams, Skype, TT, BANKING App, etc). Unfortunately, restoring your iPhone from iCloud wouldn't do, because that would install everything you currently have, risking the same problem.
    Again: on your iPhone, there should be NO open ports, unless you are absolutely sure an app needs it.
    Good luck and don't hesitate to ask, if you need more information.