Photogenic
Hello, I installed the desktop version of Fing but I have this: /
Matt_T

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,804
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @math, did you try a reboot?  If that did not work, try to uninstall and reinstall the app.  Reboot between those steps.  It smoother if you let Fing use whatever defaults it asks for like file locations etc.  Lastly, you need to be sure you are installing it with enough permissions to allow the service to be installed and run.  Hope this helps.  Let us know if this works for you.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @math
    Following Marc's advice, if restarting PC haven't help to resolve this behaviour, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator):

• Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent
    • Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent

If this is unsuccessful, please check under Services.msc and restart the Fing agent service. Here is an external link on how to do that: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-windows-services.html

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. This can be verified by making the following commands from the command line (cmd) :

1. sc query Fing.Agent - (it should return to service status)
    2. %ProgramFiles\resources\fingagent.exe --version - (it should return the installed version of the Fing Agent)

If the commands are successful I recommend a new installation of the Fing Desktop.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Qualitec
    Qualitec Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    "Fing Service not found"
    Running Win 10 Pro 20H2 - with administrative permission account
    I have rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled - all of the above.
    The Fing Agent will not START in Services ... no error given.
    So I cannot stop OR restart it.
    The FING Agent DOES show as running in the status bar.
    When I uninstall - it shows that FING is 'Running' so I have to kill it before I uninstall and then reinstall.
    I've tried.  Any ideas ?

Matt_T
  • Rssordr
    Rssordr Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment
    @Qualitec - I had to manually install WinPcap to get it to work (winpcap.org).  The Fing installer never prompted me to install it, maybe because I have the newer Npcap installed (for Wireshark)?  But Fing didn't/won't use npcap, so installing the older winpcap got Fing desktop working again.
    Robin_from_FingMatt_T