How do I get local Network File Sharing to work

I have repeatedly followed instructions but am unable to get File Sharing to work between my 2 PCs. On the 'receiving' PC I find it recognises my (new) WiFi Hub but not the USB Flash Drive which is open on the 'sending' PC is not displayed. As far as I can tell I have correctly checked the required settings both in Settings and elsewhere. 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,306
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    So you can get the right help...  What OS and version are you using?  What type of network are you using?  Are you trying to share the flash drive from one PC to another?  Can both PC’s see each other, aka can they ping each other?

I’m sure there are be more questions but this will get us started.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • claytoclayto Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    My 2-in-1 Tablet PCs  (A) and (B)  run Windows 10 Home 64 Bit with all available updates. My Network use
    both Ethernet and WiFi. I have checked that the SHARING problem is present when either are used. In Network the second PC (B) lists my (new) Hub correctly, and itself, and my smart TV, but it does not list PC (A)  as I presume it should (?). On (A) I have activated Advanced Sharing. I have not tried pinging yet but presume it is not necessary as the Hub is displayed?
    Among the various things I have set correctly are: the Network set to Private (which it should be, as it 'allows  all usages' but I have also tried Public). Network Troubleshooters either found no problems or it showed there 'might' be an issue with the DNS Server I have run a Fix which is supposed to correct this, though from my limited very knowledge I still think this may be relevant. I have checked out settings. I have checked the settings in Shared Experiences.
     At the start I have the target USB Drive present and available to be shared on PC (A) but it is not displayed as available on PC (B) as it is expected to be, nor is (A) shown as , as I say above. 

I think that covers everything I have tried.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,306
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have a look at this from Microsoft, maybe it can help..

@Pixel or @kltaylor , community, anything you folks can think of ?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 146
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Hi @clayto are all devices visible on the network, if not then you need to resolve that first.
     You have mentioned that you have setup network sharing but you don’t appear to have mentioned sharing any of the devices/folders themselves? 
     It’s worth having a read through the file sharing link provided by @Marc as it will guide you through the process.
    DNS is not likely to be related to your local file sharing issues, DNS is the internet name server translation service, it translates the url (website name) into the ip address of the destination website.
  • ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 168
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited February 28
    As pointed out in the link @Marc shared, have you enabled Advanced Sharing on PC (B)? In particular, under "Network discovery" enabled "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices"? And, as mentioned in the link, are both devices on the same network - meaning it is possible you may have a network extender or another access point that is setup to issue its own IP addresses (not in "bridge" mode), so PC (A) and PC (B) are on different networks?
    Pixel
    I have not been able to Share anything yet --- this is my first attempt
    I do not have any other Network so both devices are on the same Network
    I have enabled Advanced Sharing on both (A) and (B), and  Turn on Discovery and Automatic setup of network connected devices. Everything is accepted apart from Microsoft Network Adapter Multiple Protocol which is NOT selected?? Password protected sharing was enabled but I have changed this since reading the MS article
    When I read the article in the link, I found little that I had not already done
    Local Area Connection 14 is shown as enabled. Everything is enabled except for Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplier Protocol ??
    On (B) Incoming Connections reports "No client connected" ??
    I have now enabled the option 'Enable file sharing for devices that  use 40 or 50 bit encryption' in case this is relevant
    The graphics below show what is usually visible in Networks with (B) first, then (C). What should I expect to see? I have a USB Drive on (A) which is named for Sharing and contains Files I was expecting to seen in Explorer / Network. It has not appeared.
    ✭✭✭
    edited February 28
    This is still a confusing situation. What is “c”?
    There is only one PC showing on your network screenshots, both should be visible whichever machine you are viewing your network from. Before you progress with anything else, switch all of your devices off & reboot your Bthub, then switch the devices on in turn until all are powered up and working, now check the devices (This is just in case DHCP has a glitch) can you now see both PCs? if no then carry on:-
    Are you running the fing app? if yes run a network scan And confirm that the expected devices are active, ping the devices to prove they are all able to respond to incoming connections. (alternatively use ipconfig command from the command prompt to identify the local ip address on each machine then ping the other (from the command prompt again)).
    If there is no response disable firewalls on both if the windows machines (not the bthub) and try pinging them again.
    once you can communicate with the machines try using file explorer to copy a file from each machine to the other, by now we should have sufficient information to progress further, if needed.
  • ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 168
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Try this link. It is a bit more thorough. Please note, it mentions completing all actions on both/all Windows 10 devices you are want to share/access files from:

✭✭✭
    edited February 28
    Scooby said:
    Try this link. It is a bit more thorough. Please note, it mentions completing all actions on both/all Windows 10 devices you are want to share/access files from:

That’s an excellent tutorial but at the moment there is only one of two PCs visible on the network, until both are visible, configurable and ping-able (Which I suspect will solve the problem) sharing will not be possible. That said it’s worth a go as everything should be covered 🙏🏼
    PixelScoobyMarc
    Before I follow the suggestions above there are a couple of things I have encountered (1) in the graphic below  -- presumably quite relevant ---what are the 'permissions' referred to?  (2) I have accessed, on both PCs, the Management Console of my BT Network Hub which has a lot of info I don't understand but it lists all my Network devices (and others not known to me ---- neighbours?)  ---- in the Network section it says all the ones  expected (the 2 Desktops, TV, Chromecast), are connected.  ......... Although I have Fing on 2 Android devices I have never been able to get it to work on Windows PCs.  But can it be run online? I will check next..
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @clayto first, you forgot the graphic 😬
    The fact that your Hub is showing the devices you expect is good news, other devices should not be those of your neighbours unless they have access to your network?
    You now need to establish a logical approach to resolving the issues, please follow the instructions previously posted and feed back the results. Can the devices “talk” to each other, the suggested checks will establish that and define the next course of action.
    We may be close to a solution. Before starting on your  instructions I noticed something which waylaid me, but in a useful way. I have been able to get FING installed on (A) and (B) though the latter took over an hour. I am now quite certain that the problem lies with a fault on (B) which is stopping it from connecting, as I discovered that getting online to the internet. was not possible, including FING. (until later).  I check  with the Ookla Speed Test and found it reporting that there was no connection.  It was unavailable on various occasions. Also, updating apps from the Store  goes on and off. What has fooled me (and FING itself) is that rather than the the dropout, being intermittent it is the connection which is intermittent. So it can look as if internet is connecting OK because new emails arrive, Stickies sync and so on. And when FING checks for devices, and when it pings if that happens to be at the moment connection is OK it looks as if it is alright. But if I had tried 5 minutes before or 5 minutes later it would have failed. 

I hope this makes sense to you.  If so what I need to do is find out why the connection from (B) keeps going on and off. But I will start to follow the instructions, anyway.

• ChiefplumberChiefplumber Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Founder
    ✭✭
    Everybody, you are missing a basic issue.  The Windows default configuration puts the firewall in "reject external connection" mode.  One needs to either turn off the Windows firewall or tell it to trust connections on the home network for both PCs.  After that you should at least be able to see each PC from the other.  Then file sharing will work as you think it should by sharing the file system.
  • Henrik9kHenrik9k Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I just use Nitroeshare. Works on everything - Windows, Linux, MacOS:
    https://nitroshare.net/