Keep getting message to open router and disable ipv6 - what does this mean and how/should I do it?

JODJOD Member Posts: 10
First Comment

I keep getting message to open router and disable ipv6 - what does this mean and how/should I do it? Thanks

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,126
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you getting this message from, is that from the Fing desktop or mobile app?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • JODJOD Member Posts: 10
    First Comment

It is in the app when I try to pause internet in some devices using the app.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a Fingbox and do you have a schedule running to block access to devices in your network?  I am thinking that this could be related.  you cannot block a device with an ipv6 address with Fing due to restrictions in the protocol.
    First Comment

Oh ok so I have a fing box and try to use schedules - so if the app says ‘disable ipv6 though router’ to block/pause internet or engage a schedule then it means I can’t actually block or pause the internet in the device at all?

i seem to get that message a lot. What type of devices have ipv6 and is it something I can disable?

thanks

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can disable ipv6 generally through a routers DHCP setting.  If you can’t find it, let me know the make and model of what you have and I’ll see if I can find it for you.
    Robin
    First Comment

I have no idea where to even look! We have a Telstra smart modem.

is there a problem disabling the ipv6 for the actual device?

thanks

✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would have to give it a static ipv4 address. If you left it dhcp it would keep retrieving an ipv6 address.

I found a link here that might help you turn it off from the modem. https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/need-to-turn-off-ipv6-from-modem-router/td-p/871361

First Comment

Is it a problem to do what you suggest with respect to stability of devices or security?

✭✭✭✭✭✭

There should be no security risk to turn off ipv6. Devices are fine with either, assuming they even support ipv6.