What channel and/or SSID to use?

HI, I live in a large older home double brick with a tin roof. The NBN comes in at the lounge room at the front of the house. I have a NETGEAR  tri band router connected. I have the 2.4 named ******_80 the two 5ghz is ******_5G1 and ******_5G2. I have NETGEAR extender setup as a WAP via ethernet cable in my small home office two rooms away. So the two are separated by two walls both DOUBLE BRICK. (including a kitchen and a TV in the way) But connected by the ethernet cable. I have the WAP set up with the SAME SSID's ******_80 and *****_5G2. BUT on different channels? is this the best and correct way to do it? All devices in all areas seem to work including way out in the back yard. Thanks so much for any input.
ANDUGRC

Answers

• Cheezhat
    Cheezhat Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

I'm not a fing tech but the more devices broadcasting on the same channel would/could interfear with each other being so close, I'm assuming the proper way would be a mesh network, but I've never set one up personally. But unless they are working together on same channel it wouldn't be ideal at all. That's why there are multiple channels, 1,11, and 6 being the best. However most WAPs on older router default to 6. Newer modems automatically switch. Hope this helps. 5gz range I'm not to sure as far as channels go.

• Pinkmist
    Pinkmist Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    HI,
    AS I said the router and WAP have the same SSID' same passwords but different channels. Router has 2.4ghz on 6 and WAP is on 11. the 5ghz router is router on 153 WAP on 161. thanks.
  • Cheezhat
    First Comment

Should be fine, respond if you have any questions. I won't tell you some bullshit, can you go to your browser and access both routers directly. If you that's fine. If you cant access the config page of both routers you might need to tell router two to route through router one,. If you ip of first router is 192.168.1.1 tell router two to be 192.168.1.2 and they will see all devices on network. Might need to set gateway on second router to 192.168.1.1 should be good if second router ip it set to 192.168.2.1 it would have internet but proabably couldn't see other routers and devices but could ping them. I have nothing better to do but try help some people I'm that bored. If I am off criticism is welcome and if someone has better answer let's hear it.

• Pinkmist
    Pinkmist Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    HI
    Thanks for your input, yes I can access the router and the WAP via the IP address and change the setup to what ever I want. I first tried a Wifi range extender but no matter what channel I set the Router to the extender followed so they both ended up on the same channel, no matter what. With the WAP connected to the Router via ethernet cable I am able to set either one to what ever channels I like. It seems to work OK. But of course standing in between the two with a scanner I can see two SSID's with the same name on two different channels. And that is exactly how I set it. Since I am using channels 6 and 11 most of the other stations close by seem to use channel 1. All the best.
  • Cheezhat
    First Comment

Yes a extender would automatically use the same channel, I would say you have it set right. The extender is receiving internet on ethernet and it turn is acting as its own ap instead of rebroadcasting the others wireless signal. You did it right then.

Pinkmist
  • CzarMark
    CzarMark Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    My modem and primary router are located in my basement because that is where my ISP access point is located. I have installed a WAP on the main floor of my home at the opposite end of where the primary router is located. The WAP is connected to my network via Ethernet. I have setup four distinct SSIDs in my network (2 for the 2.4G signals [main floor, basement] and 2 for the 5G signals [main floor, basement]) because I have found that my mobile devices do not switch to the strongest signal (this includes my iPhone, iPad, and an Android phone.) The mobile devices tend to stay connected to whatever network they initially connected to. So when I move between floors, the signal strength drops significantly. The only way to get them to connect to the stronger signal when only one SSID is used is to turn Wifi off and then back on and hope that it connects to the nearest WAP. By having 4 distinct SSIDs, I can choose which one I want to connect to depending upon where I am in the house. I prefer knowing what band I am connecting to and which WAP.
  • ekestler
    ekestler Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    This may be somewhat off this discussion: my VZ router died and VZ said I needed to get their latest WiFi-6 capable router. I installed it in my basement and set up 2 SSIDs: mynet24 and mynet5, with passwords. I also installed a TP 750 extender for the kitchen & patio, since they are furthest away from the basement router and the signal is weak. The extender created SSIDs mynet24_ext and mynet5_ext. I didn’t setup passwords as I wanted these to be for limited guest use….

My devices see these SSIDs, and I can select them with my iPhone or iPad, but can’t send or receive any data or text.

Seeking advice / suggestions.

Eric Kestler