fing desktop stopped loading on imac

lstept_1
lstept_1 Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
running mac os 11.2.1 on imac   suddenly fing desktop would not load.  tried unistalling and reinstalling app. still will not load app.   app running fine on laptop running same mac os   please help

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,804
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lstept_1, when you uninstalled the app, did you check to see that the Fing background processes where stopped?  It’s possible if they were still running that the uninstall might not have removed everything.  So please make sure you stop them before doing the uninstall.  Also, after you uninstall but before you reinstall, empty the trash and restart your Mac ..
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • lstept_1
    hi marc  thanks for your response.   i uninstalled fing via finder so i assume all processes were removed.  i did empty the trash before downloading again.  still will not open the new download. 
    Marc said:
    Hi @lstept_1, when you uninstalled the app, did you check to see that the Fing background processes where stopped?  It’s possible if they were still running that the uninstall might not have removed everything.  So please make sure you stop them before doing the uninstall.  Also, after you uninstall but before you reinstall, empty the trash and restart your Mac ..

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Uninstall everything again and fire up activity monitor.  Make sure you see no Fing services running.   Finder does not always get rid of everything.  I use app cleaner for the more stubborn ones.
    datagod
  • lstept_1
    marc i did fire up activity monitor   fing helper was still running in the  backround.   i deleted it.  checked spotlight and activity monitor no further fing processes running.    downloaded app again and tried to install.  no luck.   i did notice that my imac had upgraded to mac os 11.2.1 and my laptop is running 11.2   don't know whether the upgrade did anything?  also when i download the app there is a dialog box that says "unidentified will ask for privledges to access network".  never gets to that point in the download.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @lstept_1, @Robin, could you help out here?  I’ve exhausted where I can think of to troubleshoot.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • datagod
    datagod Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am having the same issues with Fing desktop on Windows 10.  2 days ago it stopped working.  I tried re-installing, but that process dies after about 1/2 way.  No errors.  It just vanishes.  
  • lstept_1
    any luck solving the problem? datagod
  • datagod

Nope. Nothing. I have a paid licence too.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    lstept_1 said:
    any luck solving the problem? datagod
    @Marc
    @Marc
    I am tagging you for good to know information.
    In order to address this query, first I would like to confirm that you are:
    • Installing the Fing Desktop under the 'Applications' folder only. If not, Fing Desktop won't be able to connect to its services. If it is not, it will appear as 'Unidentified' or ‘Undefined.
    • If you have "Service not found" error, the service might have been disabled and cannot launch until the service is re-enabled. This is likely the result of the service having been unloaded using 'launchctl' in conjunction with the -w switch. This will disable the service. This condition can remain, even if the software is uninstalled and reinstalled.
    To resolve:
    Re-enable the disabled service using the following commands:
    • sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fing.service.plist
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    datagod said:

Nope. Nothing. I have a paid licence too.

Are you still facing the issue installing Fing desktop?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • datagod

Hey there thanks for asking. I found advice somewhere saying to shut down the fing service. Even after being uninstalled the service was still running so I manually stopped it then I was able to reinstall the app and I got the desktop side working again. no idea why it stopped working to begin with but that software these days thanks for the help I love the app

Robin_from_Fing