Outage - Server issue RESOLVED

Comments

• OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 75
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭

Mine has been doing it all day! Is my fingbox dying? If so are others fingbox dying the same time?

✭✭

I got home and I either have a router issue or it’s my isp. False alarm on the fingbox

• AmolakhAmolakh Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Fingbox goes offline frequently and comes online only when I hard boot it

This problem has restarted

I had faced the same problem in dec 2019. Now since I went out for 10 days I switched off the router and when I came back this problem had come back I have to restart the fingbox several times a day. I have a fiber line and speed is 300 mbps

Fingbox is offline again have rebooted the device again

Again it's gone offline

✭✭

Okay my fingbox is doing it again. Anyone have any ideas? I was having problems with service but it was fixed this morning. I unplugged the router and fingbox for a while and plugged them back in. I’m not losing internet but the fingbox is going on and off. What is the life expectancy of these. I’m surprised that they last as long as they do with all the information that goes through them

✭✭

Do you guys know of anything going on with the severs or think it’s dying ?

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,391
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @OKC

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop and will lead to Offline.  

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if the Fingbox is getting Offline or not.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    OKCAmolakh
    ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You know the world we live in is not an honest one anymore. I finally called the ISP after getting no where texting them. I promised them I would not be upset if they told me the truth as it would save me from buying a new router and was told they were working though some problems with their servers.  So far this morning there have not been any problems. The cables are all in tact and this is an intermittent problem that happens quickly. The router and fingbox are on a UPS, so its not a result of primary power. I will have to watch it for a few more days.  I just wish the ISP would be honest and not lie when there is a problem. I did catch the fingbox dropping out last night while the router was still operational. I will figure it out soon enough and come back and tell you guys what the problem is. Does FingBox auto-update? Is there ever a need to manually update the firmware?

Be back later to give you the synopsis.

admin
    Hi @OKC
    Fingbox does automatically update itself once there is an update from its cloud servers. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭

Everything has settled down now. The router, Fing, LAN, Wan, etc. is working normally. I don’t think it was any one thing because I Caught the internet working when fing went down. I also caught the ISP fading in and out. Everything is working as it should now.

Robin
    ✭✭
    Today is 3/16/2020 and everything is working flawlessly. I did have an interruption with my ISP but my wireless router seems fine. I dont have a clue as to what was going on.
    Robin
    ✭✭
    Today is 3/21/2020 and there has not even been a minor hiccup.

Hey @Robin its again and again restarting the cable is fine. I cant get it once I go some.where or restart the router this problem. Keeps coming till I reach out to you can you pls help

OKC
    admin
    Hi @Amolakh
    Please reply to my private message so I can guide you correcty. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • wello007wello007 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic

My fingbox is going offline for no reason...

the network is up and all the other devices are working fine. There is no power issue.

the Fingbox blinks in red.

this make the box useless... the only way is to h plug the power and replug it

• Ed2Ed2 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I’m getting the same thing. I do a speed test and it’s clearly connected. Why does it say it is disconnected?

• reversemapreversemap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Having similar issue. Fing box went offline last night, first time this has happened without actual network failure. Still not online.

• kochm10kochm10 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Same here. Happens every 2-3 days.
    admin
    Hi All,

There are two reasons for Fingbox going Offline:

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP.

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to.

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not.

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this:

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • DennisshDennissh Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

I realize you said that there are no power issues, but I’ll simply say that I was having the same issue, Fingbox going offline blinking red for no apparent reason, until I replaced the power strip everything was plugged into. Problem stopped.

Robin
  • EtiennejbEtiennejb Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, I have the same problem. Since 2 days ago my fingbox suddenly went offline. I unplugged/plugged the power and it went online. Only for 20 minutes. This repeated for a few times but every time it went offline After 10-20 minutes. I changed the powersupply, tried a different cat cable and then tried the hard reset.
    still nothing. Now it just shows a white light. No activity at all :-(
    what can I do?
    admin
    Hi @Etiennejb
    I have sent you a private message to address your query. Please check and reply directly to my message. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • DarksproutDarksprout Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2020

Hi community

today my Fingbox went offline in the morning (sending me an email notification) and subsequently did this twice more before it was offline for about 4 hours. Suddenly it reappears back online on the network!

nothing changed on the network all day and I don’t think a new firmware was deployed!

anyone else see this today?

thanks

admin
    Hi @Darksprout

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you will restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.  

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not. If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • DarksproutDarksprout Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment

@Robin thanks for the feedback. My Fingbox has been online continuously for almost 12 months since replacing my internal network with Ubiquiti.

the other day there were no internet outages as (like most other days this year) I worked from home all day!

regarding the cable, it’s never been changed and my switch confirms a solid 1000FDX connection with over 47GB of data upload over its lifetime (since backed on Kickstarter).

so I don’t believe it’s a device or local LAN issue, it felt like it lost the ability to talk to the Fing cloud. It was still connected locally but couldn’t find its cloud :(

thoughts??

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I have a similar issue with mine, but it only happens after a power failure.  Once the power comes back on, the Fingbox will still stay offline until I manually reboot it.
    admin
    Thanks @Darksprout
    I am not sure what could be the reason but if the issue persists again, please let me know so I can investigate better. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Darksprout
This discussion has been closed.