Outage - Server issue RESOLVED

1272829303133»

Comments

• SRPSRP LAMember Posts: 113
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 27

Hey @OU812 - just a quick thought that you've probably already tested but this happened to me briefly. I replaced the white standard CAT6 Fingbox cable that came with the device with a new CAT8 cable that should have been backwards compatible and suffered the identical symptoms - only 100Mb/s measurement. Something similar couldn't have happened to you could it? Somewhere in the app it warns you if the FB isn't connected at 1Gb/s if I recall.

Cheers,

S.

• seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 110
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 27
    OU812 said:

Fing app device test 280mb

fingbox wired test 93.8mb

fing desktop wired 280mb

mlab wired 280mb

all other speed test checkers 280mb

so Fing box wired is erroneous and I’ve asked @Robin to look at it.

How do you take the speed test for the Fingbox wired?
    I presumed that the speed test taken from the desktop app is taken via the Fingbox.
    When speed test is done from the Android app, then for sure I see a difference.
    Speed test from Android:  Latency = 7ms, DL = 529, UL 89
    Speed test from Windows Desktop App:  Latency = 5ms, DL = 900, UL = 88
    Speed test dslreports.com/speedtest:  Latency = 18ms,  DL = 925, UL = 90     
    Speed test MLAB:  Latency = 3ms, DL = 858, UL = 88
    I took the difference between Android and Windows due to other circumstances...
    I use CAT6 between all wired devices (PCs/MACs/Switches/Router) and all have giga speed LAN ports...Internet access is FFTH 1000 DL/UL100 (reason for lower UL is due to having QS setting that basically eliminates buffer bloat
  • OU812OU812 Member Posts: 67
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭

When I select speed test on app splash page it gives me the choice - from fingbox or from device.

fingbox is wired and device is wireless

desktop is wired

unusual problem to have.

mlab seemed to have an issue with connections above 500mb which may explain some of your differences

seh2000
  • SRPSRP LAMember Posts: 113
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

A further update. My Fingbox just dropped to 100Mb/s connection again randomly on the original CAT 6 cable. After some fiddling it turned out the use of the spare USB A slot on the FB to power a monitor-io was causing the drop (I figured hey it's a free slot). Once the monitor-io was removed both the CAT6 and CAT8 cables delivered 1 Gb/s connection and associated non clamped speed tests consistently.

Dalekseh2000
  • DalekDalek Member Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

I followed the instructions to be added to the Community Digest list on April 8 and received my first Fing Community Digest email early this morning Pacific Time sent by Arriana from Fing. It highlights a few interesting topics currently being discussed in Community threads and provides links to them. This is different from the Fing News I have been receiving for some time from Arianna. I look forward to future email editions of both the Community Digest and Fing News.

If you aren’t receiving the Fing Community Digest and would like to do so, follow the instructions in the quoted post above to be added to the mailing list.

@Ciaran @Robin Thank you for making this happen.

SRP
  • KrBKrB Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Hi @Ciaran and @Robin, I’m still having the very short off-lines for my Fingbox. Usually one a day for just a couple of minutes. I’ve attached a screen shot showing the notifications. It seems that most other people have a solution to this problem, so I’d be grateful if you could have a quick look to see why mine keeps flipping off-line.

thank you

michaellegnerseh2000
  • michaellegnermichaellegner Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment

Exactly like my problems and they are still occuring, almost daily. Been so for months but not from the beginning of my Fing time (I bought it very early).

seh2000
  • seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 110
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Ciaran & @Robin
    I am experiencing, something similar as  Michael and KrB...as you can see from the below...
    Steen

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,227
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @seh2000 @KrB @michaellegner
    I have sent you all private mail to address your query. Please reply to my message directly. It may be individual cases which might not be related to this outage issue and we haven't had repeat of any outage server issue on our side. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    michaellegner
  • DalekDalek Member Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

@Robin Judging by the number of posts to this thread and your most recent post, there are now only a small number of FB owners being affected by the offline/online episodes. This is definitely a good thing!

Does this mean the cause has been identified and a fix has been implemented?

An answer to this question would be appreciated along with an update.

admin
    @Dalek
    Since the last update by developers, we are continuously monitoring the servers but we haven't had any new report of the server outage. At this stage, we don't want to jinx it by saying it is resolved but we are still monitoring it. Once we are satisfied with all testing then we will update everyone if it is permanently fixed.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    DalekKrBErnieBernieOlivierG
  • sk0rp10sk0rp10 Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

Outage here in Uk - Fing Box lost connection since 21:08 today

• NULLNULL Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Comment
    How the F do you unsubscribe from these useless topic notifications? This is worse than the damn up down notifications.
    Kingmichaellegner
  • KingKing Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Outage 5 hours and counting here in Canada

• MarcoNLMarcoNL NLMember Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I cannot believe this is still going on...  :#
    We’ve dropped and shredded all our client’s FingBox’es a few weeks ago and exchanged them for a Pi solution. We were done with this after the issues went on for days and are glad we swapped everything.
    We had the idea the place got hacked, especially because there was no deny from Fing. Can’t sell that as a security option.
    Will drop my private account also. Best of luck to all.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,376
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MarcoNL said:
    We’ve dropped and shredded all our client’s FingBox’es a few weeks ago and exchanged them for a Pi solution. We were done with this after the issues went on for days and are glad we swapped everything.
    We had the idea the place got hacked, especially because there was no deny from Fing. Can’t sell that as a security option.

To qualify for Fing's customers, it was mentioned that this was not a results of a hack back in post 1174.  I am pasting a response from @Robin from Fing below for reference below.  I believe there may be other places where this was mentioned as well.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • NULLNULL Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Comment
    MarcoNL said:
    I agree. I used prill NH₄NO₃ mixed with powdered Al and touched it off with 165gr of Pb propelled by 7.62x51 to dispose of my Fing. 
  • InventiveSoleInventiveSole Member Posts: 4
    5 Agrees First Comment

Don’t suppose you could share what Pi solution you opted for?

I am sure I and many others would welcome an alternative solution right now.

Sadly, my FB v1 continues to drop out, and my confidence in Fing to address root cause diminishes as each day passes. 😔

admin

Don’t suppose you could share what Pi solution you opted for?

I am sure I and many others would welcome an alternative solution right now.

Sadly, my FB v1 continues to drop out, and my confidence in Fing to address root cause diminishes as each day passes. 😔

As I checked your Fingbox is not connected to the same shard on which we were facing issues. Your issue is completely independent of what other users were facing. I will send you a private mail to address your query. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    admin
    NULL said:
    How the F do you unsubscribe from these useless topic notifications? This is worse than the damn up down notifications.
    To disable the notifications from the community, go to edit profile by clicking on your picture from the top right corner and then from the left navigation menu, click on notification preferences and disable the post updates. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • sk0rp10sk0rp10 Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

@Robin could you just check if my fingbox is disconnected due to your server issue or whether it’s something else ? Thanks

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,179
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @sk0rp10 , from checking your Fingbox, it appears as if it has been disconnected for the last 2 days. We will send you a private mail to troubleshoot the issue further for you. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    G2gbet
  • pl_svnpl_svn Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited May 12
    ok: reconnected my FingBox yesterday after two/three weeks (alerts were unbearable!) and... it's at it again with Offline/Online alerts :rage:
  • OU812OU812 Member Posts: 67
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭

You are correct, the app tells you the connection speed which for some unknown reason had dropped off 1gs to 100mbs. A quick reboot and replay of the cable into the switch resolved it. Thanks

SRP
  • AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 101
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    My FB has been completely stable for the last 2-3 weeks, so I am opting out of receiving further alerts from this thread.  Best of luck to those who continue having issues.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,179
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi, unfortunately, there is no way to stop notifications for specific threads. However, you are correct in saying that the Outage issue we were experiencing for some Fingbox users has been stable. To stop unecessary updates going to users (or for the thread to start accumulating non related issues) I am going to close the thread for comments. If another outage does occur, we will reopen a thread to  report & collate feedback. Thank you all who contributed to date, for your patience and indeed your feedback.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
This discussion has been closed.