Outage - Server issue RESOLVED

Comments

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 870
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always all over the place for me, I think it is just the Atlanta servers that stay overloaded but I'm not sure, I tried to contact the company twice to complain but they never responded.

I also requested the option to change the server manually from Fing but never got any traction there either, I'm in Florida not Georgia.

Here is what my results look like:

• MartynKMartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There was a discussion here and an explanation to a certain extent.

Speed Test Differences — Fing Community
    SRProoted
  • KrBKrB Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    @Ciaran Don't know if this is pure coincidence or if there is a theme here that will help fix the problem. But looking back at the Notifications received on my phone over the last week, my Fingbox seems to go off-line just before the half hour:

Day                             Offline -  Online

Thursday 7th :             08:29    –  08:31

Saturday 9th :              02:29    –  02:30

Saturday 9th :              23:29    –  23:33

Monday 11th :             17:29    –  17:35

Wednesday 14th :        11:29    -  (waiting for notification, but on-line again)

And now the period of time its off-line is just a few minutes.
    rootedSRP
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,227
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your patience. Just to update everyone, our developers are closely monitoring the servers and we haven't had any repeat of shard issue for the last 5 days (excluding any isolated Fingbox offline issue). We are still monitoring the shards for any changes and as we receive any more updates, we will update you all.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    SRPKrB
  • SRPSRP LAMember Posts: 113
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 14

My FB v1 has been steady blue for the past 10 days. No timeouts and no funny disco lights either. The speed test is also consistent. It seemes a cure is found for “my” server. But it would be nice to have this confirmed from Fings side.

At the risk of jinxing myself again, my experience for roughly the last week has matched that of @ErnieBernie. For the week prior, bar a 5 hour outage, I was seeing results similar to @KrB. I really feel for those that aren’t experiencing this relative stability improvement though. When it comes to speed test differences I have always noticed anomalies with the Fingbox test vs. others and use a ‘finger in the wind’ average of a few test providers as my baseline. I also notice regular unexpected dips in the history provided from the scheduled speed tests performed by my Fingbox -often running one manually straight after an automated outlier returns an improved result even. Thanks @MartynK for that helpful thread link which revealed a lot.

@Robin As always many thanks for the update. Any word from Fing goes a long, long way. Whilst the status described matches my personal improved experience on the receiving end, for which I’m mightily grateful, there are clearly others here for whom this isn’t the situation such as @KiwiComputerman, @michaellegner and @OU812. Are you implying these folks aren’t on this improved server or are experiencing different or more isolated issues? The answer to that last question notwithstanding might I perhaps suggest you drill down into these cases individually through outreach because any anomalous results posted here lead to an erosion in confidence that progress is being made at this juncture. Again, just a suggestion to put out spot fires if, as you hope, the main blaze is now largely under control.

Much appreciation for taking the time to post in any event.

Cheers,

S. 
    OlivierG
  • MartynKMartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There was a discussion here and an explanation to a certain extent.

Speed Test Differences — Fing Community
  • RoxyRoxy Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Bought a FingBox since 2017 and am getting really p----d off with this ongoing problem with no end in sight, been going on since Nov 2019 apparently. The whole lot seem to be a bunch of nonchalant incompetents. Am looking to go with other alternatives like Firewalla which has no monthly subscription fees and is equivalent. I just paid Fing for their Super for yearly. Will let it expire and not renew.

• hopkins35hopkins35 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    The mods keep moving my post from here and burying it in a hard to see place (https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/28261#Comment_28261) despite asking them not to.

So I'll ask the question straight up, do these long term outage issues have anything to do with the reports of malicious activity from your vulnerability scanning service and the fact that your server has made its way onto the AbuseIPDB site here: https://www.abuseipdb.com/check/88.99.37.190

Mods please don't move this post again, it's relevant to this topic at least until you can provide an explanation of the problem to the contrary!

DalekErnieBernie
    admin
    Hi @hopkins35
    I have replied to your query in your separate post. First, to address your query, it is not related. As you have checked the other article you mentioned in your comments here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/28261#Comment_28261,
    it informs that it is a remote penetration testing server: 88.99.37.190 which scans and checks all the 65k ports. It’s weekly and has been unchanged for years.
    If it is happening every 30 secs then we can disable it from our backend. Would you like us to disable this? If yes, you can DM me the MAC address of your Fingbox.
    The reason for moving your comment to a separate post was explained by Ciaran. You posted on a thread with a comment in relation to a completely different topic. We have split your comment into its own thread for the 'cleanliness of the Community. To avoid confusion within the Community, it is important that comments on post threads are kept relevant to the initial post.
    If you still have a query/questions about the same, please let us know.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • hopkins35hopkins35 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    @Robin I can't help but feel that you're missing the point. At this time of uncertainty around the reliability of your service you have reports of one of your servers misbehaving and being implicated in DDoS attacks, surely no reputable IT security firm wants to see their servers listed on a site such as AbusePDB which yours currently is.

But if you say that these things are all unrelated then I'll have to take your word for it. What is the latest update on the investigations BTW?
  • NULLNULL Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Comment
    This service is as "Unstable as Charles Manson, and I need help." - Foamy the Squirrel 
    admin
    Hi All,
    To update everyone, Our developers checked the shards and we haven't had any repeat of the Fingbox outage issue. For those who are facing issues, please DM me your MAC address of your Fingbox and the email address of your Fing account so I can investigate. 
    Those offline issues may be isolated issues that need to be addressed separately.
    We will still continue monitoring the shards for any changes and as we receive any more updates, we will update you all.
    Thanks for your patience.

Regards
    Robin
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    KrBErnieBernieSRP
  • AviBobAviBob Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic

Looks like there's some kind of funny stuff going on with thing it's not updating frequently and I can't run a speed test and things are malfunctioning once again I'm here in Los Angeles California today is the 19th of April 2021

• OU812OU812 Member Posts: 67
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    edited April 20
    The Fingbox has been more stable for me over the past few days though for the past 5 days the fingbox wired speedtest is broken. Measurementlabs are giving a consistent 93mb download speed on a 270-290mb connection. Interestingly a speed test from device (iPad) gives a correct result. All validated against alternate multiple speed tests on wired connections.
    This is a big issue for me. I use this function to assess the integrity of the internet provider.
    P.S. measuremetlabs website gives the correct answer direct taking Fingbox out of the equation.
    I am becoming a little disillusioned with the product, it did use to be rock solid and reliable and now it has become a source of issue and frustration.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,376
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Robin , is there anyway to troubleshoot speed testing issues from the Fingbox? Note @OU812 is getting accurate results directly via mlabs site, just not from his Fingbox.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    admin
    Hi All,
    To update you all,  We haven't had any repeat of the Fingbox outage issue for the last 12 days. We will still continue monitoring the shards for any changes and as we receive any more updates, we will update you all.

@OU812
    Can you please DM me your MAC address of your Fingbox and the email address of your Fing account so I can investigate. 
    Any issues related to offline or speed test needs to be addressed separately.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards
    Robin
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    KrBErnieBernie
    ✭✭

@Robin , thanks for the update. I can confirm 6 days now with no outage in UK and so it’s looking much better.

ABthree
  • martenitmartenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 27
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    I originally reported this in the beginning of the year and instead of getting better, it is the same or worse. e.g. since 18:19 yesterday until 15:00 today, I have had 100 notifications of disconnections.
    I keep hoping that a solution is found as it is obviously not a good situation. In the past (last year) it was good in that I would get immediate notifications of connections and disconnections to the network but that is no longer the case and the notifications are swamped by these disconnection notifications of the Fing box not able to communicate with the servers whist at the same time it is still working.
    ✭✭
    @Robin - I tempted fate yesterday by saying no more outages. Had another one between 17:41 and 17:45
    The outages are just lasting a few minutes now.
  • RandyThompsonRandyThompson Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    My FB was offline this morning starting at about 2:30am and was crippling my internet connection. Once I unplugged it at 6:30am I regained my network connection. The orange circle was blinking and a few notifications via email leading up the offline notice at 2:30am. No new notification after 2:30am. Are we back to the original issue again?
  • ABthreeABthree Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    KrB said:

@Robin , thanks for the update. I can confirm 6 days now with no outage in UK and so it’s looking much better.

We had major Internet problems -- totally non-Fingbox related -- all weekend, so I can't vouch for six days, but so far so good this week in Manaus.
    ✭✭
    Starting to see short outages returning again in UK. One on Friday, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Just a few minutes each. But having had no outages for a week, they are becoming more regular again. 
    ErnieBernie
  • DalekDalek Member Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

I had my FB completely disconnected for a month to eliminate the email alerts. When I read here that they stopped for all but a few I took a leap of faith and put it back on my network. That was about a week ago and since then it has been happily purring along displaying a solid blue light and doing all the Fingish things that it should with no offline/online alerts. I am hoping this will continue. Time will tell but I hope I haven’t put a hex on my little cylindrical buddy.

It appears the Fing engineers have either found the cause of the alerts and corrected it, or are suppressing the alerts somehow. I’m hoping it’s the former and that @Robin @Ciaran or @marco_from_fing will provide an update soon with a detailed explanation of what they found as a cause and what they have done to stop the alerts.

ErnieBernieSRP
    ✭✭✭

After a few weeks of stability I've just entered a period of the ye olde blue light-red disconnect-reconnect notification cycle for the last 40 minutes and counting.

Anyone else - or have the server/backbone gods cursed only me? :(

• ErnieBernieErnieBernie SwedenMember Posts: 41
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Sweden FB is doing fine. No hick ups at all since 2 weeks or so.

SRP
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. It seems to have resolved itself now so perhaps it was a localised connectivity issue.

Cheers,

S.

• seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 110
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen any drop in connection for the past 2 weeks (location Ireland)
    ✭✭

Agree, connection seems reasonable but no update on my broken Fing box speed test yet.

• seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 110
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    OU812 said:

Agree, connection seems reasonable but no update on my broken Fing box speed test yet.

Hi 
    I been away from home and for this not followed the postings...
    I get pretty much the same speed test results when done from Windows and MAC desktops, from DSLreports and MLAB. There are some differences. I had a while back an issue with speed test done from the Windows Desktop but that disappeared after I re-installed the Windows Desktop app. 
    What you see of issue? 
    ✭✭

Fing app device test 280mb

fingbox wired test 93.8mb

fing desktop wired 280mb

mlab wired 280mb

all other speed test checkers 280mb

so Fing box wired is erroneous and I’ve asked @Robin to look at it.

This discussion has been closed.